Bypass valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open vented central heating system with an old 4 pipe boiler which I'd like to convert to an S plan plus system. Would I need to fit a bypass valve or will it be ok without?

Sponsored Links
I'll have to try and find the boiler manual as it's 30 odd years old. It's a gloworm spacesaver II. I don't suppose you could help with this?

As for building regs I don't know. That is why I've asked here so you clever chaps can hopefully help me out.

Being that the boiler has no pump overrun feature then strictly speaking no, theres no need for a bypass valve, as when the motorised valves shut then the pump will not pump against them rather it will just shut off.

However, if you have zones that contain Thermostatic Rad Valves, which could potentially close all at the same time thus stopping flow, then you would require a bypass fitted. (its not a bad idea to have one anyway in case a switch in the zone valve failed causing the pump and boiler to run even if the valve were to shut (not common but happens)

As far as regs go, they will state that if a bypass is required it should be of an Auto-Bypass makeup rather than just a gate valve half shut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. I will have a read of the boiler manual. Can you recommend a bypass valve? The prices seem to vary quite a bit. Does a more expensive valve offer anything which a cheaper one does not?

Dont imagine theres much difference between most of em, cerainly doubt theres any better features, as with everything Id avoid the cheapest ebay stuff and stick to a known brand like honeywell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back