C 24 and C 16 timbers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i know that C24 timber is obviously a better grade than the normal C16 but what is the advantage of useing C24 4"x2" as roof timbers over the normall 6"x2" spec on a mono pitch extension i am doing, this is the spec from the drawings but just wonder why? anyone else come across this before? Also C 24 is a special order from my local builders merchants :evil: And the local timber yard said they could simply go through the standard timber, pick out the good bits and regrade it from C16 to C24 and charge extra for it!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
mikric - without seeing the design drawings and roof loading calculations it's difficult to pass an opinion on your situation. Ask your architect why he's specified C24.

Timber is strength graded and quality graded. Strength grading is mainly carried out on timber which is commonly known as carcassing and is used for structural frameworks (so it's selected for its strength not its looks). Quality grading takes into account the appearance of the softwood mainly used in joinery & machining. Rules regarding strength grading are contained in British and European Standards.

Scandinavian timber is graded slightly differently to Russian stuff.

It is acceptable for timber to be re-graded locally at your timber merchant, if the stock is reduced beyond permitted levels by re-sawing for example. This re-grading should only be carried out by an experienced visual strength grader so there is likely to be a charge levied for this service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back