C class engine light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a merc c class 67 plate so w205 has engine light on.
I’ve ordered an obd 2 to check the fault I’m assuming maf
Anyone seen a good video for this model to replace or clean it

Sponsored Links
I’ve read the code it’s p2200
9868CDDC-8A98-4DDE-9934-F52F5C3C4E77.jpeg

am I correct in thinking there’s x2 box sensors on the car. And does anyone know which sensor it will be and if they can be cleaned

Give the car a good fast run and get the exhaust system really hot.
Then, cancel the code and see if the EML stays out.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I didn’t get it serviced at the 1 year so no warranty. I’m fairly handy tho and I want to service the car myself to be honest. Especially now you can suck the oil out.

What’s the reason for giving it a good run is it to try get it hot enough to burn some possibly carbon deposits off.

My vehicles don't see a dealer either, but there's nothing you can really do to cause this so I'd definitely let them know....if possible these days!
The catalytic converter needs to get steaming hot to clean itself before it works properly. Short runs cause the EML to come on irrespective of mileage and irrespective of vehicle.
If you do go down the replacement route, I'd only use genuine Merc bits though - I've been caught out too many times with pattern parts in this area.

So in your experience usually the sensor is fine and showing a code here is actually indicating an issue further upstream

I can’t tell, but you have a quality vehicle which is too young to have real problems.....unless it has been to the moon and back of course.

Just a thought, if like me your cars standing around a lot at the moment, the battery might be getting a bit flat. Again if it's like my car, the electronics in it don't take kindly to it. For instance mines got an engine management warning light on it at the moment, which I'm pretty confident is a ghost fault.

I will give it a good run and clear the fault and see if it helps out

Well I did a few 130mph runs haha and the fault is gone. I looked at my mpg and noticed it’s all low mpg and short runs.

Is it that if you don’t do long runs the carbon builds up?

Yes, that's about it really.....petrol engines do suffer when they don't get hot - but diesels fare worse :eek:
We're stuck with it, I'm afraid but the good old 'Italian tune up' pays dividends :D

Sponsored Links
Back