C/H how to check for inhibitor, also boiler guarantee query

corgiman said:
and he is always "a bit cheaper" than anyone else

its almost magic it is ;)

makes me chuckle

I have never met the guy and only been on here a few months .

I get the vibe of a Barry Scott type of character

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
f.f.s. tony getcha yerself down tesco or asda and get a decent shirt.........
check is so passe

I thought all boiler repairers wore them!

Now here is another boiler installer with a check shirt!

drilling.jpg

Sponsored Links
persactly corgiman. and i hope my comments are taken how i mean them. :eek:

which is...in the cheap larff. but we move on department.. errr someone has to do it :LOL: ;)

Agile said:
A quick non conclusive test I do is to measure the conductivity. If its low then there is no inhibitor. If its high it could be inhibitor or it could be flux residue or other comtaminents.

Never heard of that being done, how would it be carried out ?

P.S Nice shirt btw !

corgiman said:
scatmanjohn said:
Agile said:
Thats not me!

You can see me at www.glow-worm.co.uk fixing the 30ci

You mean this is you.

installer2.gif

Scat what can I say

pure class

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Agile we are only kidding, we all wish we were as good as you, not to mention "that little bit cheaper" than you too ;)

i thought this was you

images

;)

that looks like dennis waterman fixing that boiler to me :LOL:

Agile said:
You can buy test kits to test specifically for each manufacturers products.

Or you can send a sample for analysis but that can cost about £30.

A quick non conclusive test I do is to measure the conductivity. If its low then there is no inhibitor. If its high it could be inhibitor or it could be flux residue or other comtaminents.

I'd test the pH, if you can get a bit of litmus paper from somewhere (school chemistry dept.?).

Neutral is 7 (mains water will be near this).

Anything less than 7 is acidic and will promote galvanic corrosion. This often happens if the installer has used active flux (quickest, so most do) and not flushed and neutralised the system. It would be a sure-fire indication of no inhibitors.

Most inhibitors have a pH adjuster to make the solution around pH 9 (alkaline) so this would indicate inhibitors have been used.

I don't think the nail test works, since there's very little dissolved oxygen in a jam jar of water.

If in doubt I'd flush, drain, refill and add inhibitors. Cheaper than a £30 test. Much cheaper than corrosion & power flushing in a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back