C/H how to check for inhibitor, also boiler guarantee query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I have just bought has had a new Baxi 105e combi boiler fitted recently. Unfortunately the vendor (a development company) did not leave the documentation for the boiler and they cannot find it now.
My queries are -

How do I check that there is some inhibitor in the C/H system ? (there's no tell-tale empty bottle of Fernox left beside the boiler for example)

As I have no warranty papers for the boiler I'm hoping that Baxi can determine the date it was manufactured from the Serial No. and maybe offer some cover for the balance of the warranty period. Does anyone know how long these units are guaranteed for ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
draw off a jam jar of water from ch system (if unvented combi system... dont forget to top up pressure if required) and drop a steel nail in. draw off a jam jar of tap water and drop an steel nail in. if the nail rusts quiker in the tap water then you will have inhibitor in the ch system.

How much depends on how quickly/slowly the nail rusts.

You can buy test kits to test specifically for each manufacturers products.

Or you can send a sample for analysis but that can cost about £30.

A quick non conclusive test I do is to measure the conductivity. If its low then there is no inhibitor. If its high it could be inhibitor or it could be flux residue or other comtaminents.

I would assume that in your case it was an unregistered installer and there is no inhibitor and a dogey builder!

If you want some fun you can ask CORGI if they have been notified of the installation and if not then report an unregistered installer to them.

Manufacturers will usually start the guarantee period from three months after the manufacture date if no other evidence is available.

Tony

Baxi literature request
08706 060 623

Whats the serial number?

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
...measure the conductivity. If its low then there is no inhibitor.
Presumably the tolerance on "low" is "not very much"?

best bet is to drain system flush with cleanser ie keep cleanser in system for 4-5 days then drain and add inhibitor.this would be the best solution rather than doing a lot of other things.

Thanks for all the prompt replies guys.
I can't get the serial number at present as I'm offshore for another week.
I think (for peace of mind) I will drain the system and do the cleaning cycle and then add inhibitor afterwards. That way I should hopefully give it the best chance of running reliably.

I agree with donametchi, if unsure, DIY ... At least you then know that it's all okay. ;)

markthegas said:
Measure conductivity?????? :confused: :eek:

God - still so much to learn!! :cry:
The first thing you need to learn is how to distinguish between useful information and Agile just showing off. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
markthegas said:
Measure conductivity?????? :confused: :eek:

God - still so much to learn!! :cry:
The first thing you need to learn is how to distinguish between useful information and Agile just showing off. :rolleyes:

here here

he does that from time to time, that and he is always "a bit cheaper" than anyone else

its almost magic it is ;)

corgiman said:
its almost magic it is ;)
Paul_Daniels.jpg

f.f.s. tony getcha yerself down tesco or asda and get a decent shirt.........
check is so passe
obviously i go here..

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back