C word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks AdamW. I was only thinking of the likely reactions of women to that loud-mouth. Now that I think about it such remarks are usually aimed at a male audience. At first sight this didn't make too much sense either because most unattached men (and a few attached ones) will mate with anything that's got breasts on!

It's the bit about knowing who the father is that makes it all work. At a time before we formed pairs - and thus mating with non-ovulating females was a complete waste of time - the ideal mate would be the one who was, in modern terms, 'hard to get'. That would certainly be a good survival strategy at the time. I guess the tendency for some men to slag off 'easy' women is just one more remnant of obsolete mating behaviour.

And now for something completely different ---

It's interesting how the English language evolves so that words can completely lose their original meaning. I refer of course to the word "b*****d" which has long since ceased to refer to the marital status of ones parents. I would guess that a whole generation has grown up never knowing that definition and would be very surprized to read it in an old dictionary.

I read the following definition in an old(ish) dictionary. I would guess it was printed in the first half of the twentieth century. Here's the definition of a word beginning with O:

"Paroxysm of desire, rage or other passion."

Answers on a postcard or ring 09012345678 (calls charged at £1-50 per minute).

Addendum:

Also, sex shouldn't be too easy, where's the sense of achievement then? Life would be boring if it was a matter of "Oi, you, come here and drop 'em!"... after a couple of weeks, anyway Easiest thing of all would be paying a prostitute (probably cheaper than a date!), but it wouldn't be very sporting.

Do I detect a hint of an obsolete attitude here? It's so common that I never even noticed the first time.

Sponsored Links
[Regarding the C-word though, it is strange how it is so shocking for itself, not for what it refers to. Words like ****, tuppence, twinkle or lady garden don't raise an eyebrow. Honey and Berk both come from slang for lady bits too (Honeypot and Berkshire Hunt respectively) and they're both seen as quite affectionate terms these days.]

Saw a Transit van today advertising S&M lady gardners. Reading the signage and remembering above post, I do not know what to make of it.

============================
please see forum rule 17
this post was started / finished almost 1 year ago

This debate should be moved to the philosophy section, if we had one. Three pages discussing the C word. Enough already!

BE HAPPY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back