Big words

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does society these days seem hell-bent on re-wording everything?

I have heard a radio advert describe a "mechanic" as a "technician".
High school "pupils" are now described as "students". My manager tells me to "engage with stakeholders" instead of "talking to that other department" (then sends an Email with the word "your" instead of "you're").

And, most ridiculously, during a phone call with Royal Mail, a "postman" referred to as a "delivery officer".

Do these people think it makes them seem more intelligent? Make society a better place? Is it another sign of the world, or more specifically this country, going mad?

Sponsored Links
A lot of it is taking the male/female out of the equation.
There are 'pet' words & sayings, you get sick & tired of hearing them.
We had a sales rep & every other word was 'perspective'

How about the opening, 'to tell the truth', wtf, does this mean its usually a lie :LOL:

Sponsored Links
What about Environmental Technicians? :LOL: :LOL:

Bin men to you and me!

i was just thinking of this when i read the initial post, surely its to make the person with that particular job feel better about moving peoples sh*te around instead of doing something proper for a living, but fair play at least they do it and i dont have to travel to the tip every week.

hygeine technician is a cleaner btw.

It`s not unlikely that the media is responsible .I could of cried with frustration when I read The Sun, obviously it never lies and it said edgercation standerd`s falling. Some tart wrote a book called eats/shoots/leaves, abaht puncture ation. It was editorialised by a Yank.Not unlikely you could of buoght it on ebay. :rolleyes:

It`s not unlikely that the media is responsible .I could of cried with frustration when I read The Sun, obviously it never lies and it said edgercation standerd`s falling. Some tart wrote a book called eats/shoots/leaves, abaht puncture ation. It was editorialised by a Yank.Not unlikely you could of buoght it on ebay. :rolleyes:
You are not joking ;)

Back