C16 Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my Loft conversion I need to strengthen the 3x2 rafters ( which are actually 2 1/4 thick ) ..... with 2inch C16 glued and screwed... the BC has agreed this is ok BUT the timber yard are telling that once they trim the 3 x 2 C16 down to 2 1/4 x 2 then its no longer c16 certified ?

I can't get hold of my BC officer because she's in a meeting all day and I need to order the wood so I can crack on over the weekend.

I can't use standard 2x2 ( normalised ) because its only actually 45mm square and will leave a 1/4 in gap either side of the celotex !!

thoughts ideas welcome please ..

TIA

Sponsored Links
My gut feeling, will prob. be the same as yours. Basically do what you had agreed with BC and ignore what the timber yard are saying. I would also say that any time your alter/change/trim a graded timber C16 or C24 you will alter it's strength, but if BC are happy, go for it.

If you are strengthening existing rafters, then the C16 rating is irrelevent as the combined new rating will be for both rafters, and you can't prove its rating without calculating it.

If you are strengthening existing rafters, then the C16 rating is irrelevent as the combined new rating will be for both rafters, and you can't prove its rating without calculating it.

I agree ... My SE says it's ok.

Will I experience any problems using sawn over normalised ? The rafters are sawn and all shapes anyway. Can't see the advantage of using CLS in an older house ?

Sponsored Links
You won't experience any issues. Depending on how you SE has suggested you fix the two together, screws/bolts ect you'll prob. notice the new timber splitting as it dries out. Don't worry about that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back