Cabinet Hanging Rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a 2M length of this for 4 wall cabinets on a partition wall.

Can't find this item in local DIY centres. They are online but some seem to be trade packs only and / or the delviery charge make it 4x the price!

Ikea sell something called METOD galvanised suspension rail so that could do but here are a couple of questions

1. Are the rails flexible? If I find one locally would it bend slightly so that it would fit into the footwell of the passenger seat and to the rear of the car?

2. Are all rails universal. i.e. will either of them be suitable for the cabinet fixings that come with the wall units (supplied by DIY Homefit / BA Components)

Sponsored Links
You can get 2.4 mtr into a small car front foot well to rear, over 3mtr in estate.
The vast majority of cup's use similar hanging systems.

Had a look at the Ikea rail. It may work but it just looked to have too much depth.

It had a double lip, which is presumably for strength. Didn't want to take the risk that it would not be suitable.

I guess the other alternative is removing 2M x 4" of the plasterboard and securing a wooden in it's place. The standard supplied brackets would then be used.

Considering the baton would be ~10mm thick - with hollow wall behind it - what type of fastening would be suitable for securing the brackets to the baton? Short screws or toggle bolts?

Sponsored Links
Here's an update if anyone is looking for a similar solution.

I found a local kitchen fitter / dealer that supplied Hafele products. Obtained a 2m cabinet hanging rail for around £12.

Rail was mounted on the wall with 4 screws going into 4 studs and 3 plasterboard anchors roughly half way between each stud.

The run of the cabinets was roughly 2.1m so one of the supplied brackets was used on the end piece.

The cabinets were hung flush to the wall. I then added one screw at the lower back of each cabinet roughly where the stud was. These were positioned as the same level as the lowest shelf so that the screw head would be hidden.

Each cabinet had two screws joining to the adjacent cabinet at the same level as it's top and bottom shelf.

Seems solid enough and is fully loaded.

This should be sufficient?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back