cabinet making as a profession.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone. i have been thinking about pursuing a career in cabinet making for a few years now. ive decided i need to stop thinking about it and make it a reality. unfortunatly i dont know very much about carpentry of cabinetry. where do i start? what kind of schooling do i need? should i call around local shops and see if they are willing to take an unexperienced 29 yr old under their wing and show me the ropes? i have basic skills that i learned in highschool but thats about it. so what should be my first step? my second? ect... i live in chicago by the way incase that is of importance. thanks everyone for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The whole ethos of bespoke work and cabinetmaking is very different between the US and the UK. For example in the US it is much more common to employ a "cabinetmaker" to supply and install a kitchen, some or all of which may be built on site - here we'd call that guy a kitchen maker and for the most part that's all he'd make. A cabinetmaker in our sense means someone who makes bespoke furniture. I make furniture here in the UK (when I'm not doing joinery or fitting stuff) but I have visited a relative in California who does similar work. He finds it relatively easy to sell unique, one-off relatively expensive pieces whereas that is quite a bit more difficult in Britain. I'd suggest that you might have more success if you asked the question on Taunton's (Fine Wood Working) Knots, an American site

Scrit

I served a 5 year apprenticeship and went to day school for 3 years and night school for 2 many years ago become a city and guilds cabinet maker.
We covered all aspects from theoretical and practical to design of furniture.
We covered every aspect of veneering and we touched on french polishing.
I was taught at day school by an old cabinet maker who had worked at was probably the best cabinet making firm in the world at that time, ie Waring and Gillows.
After a few weeks with him I felt akin to an amateur footballer suddenly thrust into playing with the brazilian international football team.
It taught me that some people were born with a natural ability to work with wood, whilst others like myself whilst competent would never reach the premiership standard.
Don't get me wrong it was quite an experience and it helped to a degree when I became a bench joiner and then a site joiner.
Nowadays in this country machinery has mainly taken over what a true cabinet maker used to do, and as Scrit has said you have more chance in the states of people commissioning you for a one of object.
My advice go for it , schooling has nothing to do with it as you will soon find out if you have the ability or not.

Hey.

Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon, but I was going to make a post like this myself.

Do you actually need any specific qualifications to be a cabinate maker/bench joiner in the UK? If you had the ability, would it be sufficent to teach yourself and then sell what you make or take on joinery work? I know that there are tips of the trade that can only really be learned from a pro as an apprentice.

Cheers

Bryn.

Sponsored Links
There is money in it, round here we have a great cabinet making firm (bucks is traditionally known for it's furniture / chairs) The stuff on sale at this place is superb quality, and bespoke commisions are welcome, the prices make your eyes pop though.

That said, I've got just a couple of pieces from them, they are so much better than anything that is mass produced, they also have a lifetime guarantee (and that's your lifetime)

Motto, buy once, buy timeless, buy well.

Go for it, I'd love to, but too much of a wimp. (oh, and talentless as well :()

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back