Cabinet painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I set about doing up my 80's style oak kitchen by painting all the units (can't afford new) I scoured the internet looking for what to use and how to use it and thought this might help other people.
All the units were rubbed down using a range of sanding sponges 60/100/120 grit just enough to put a matt finish on whatever sealer was on the oak,then wiped with IPA and rollered with 2 coats of Zinsser Bullseye 123 then 3 coats of Bedec MSP satin using Rota Premier concave superfine foam roller.Between each coat I knocked off any nibs (hardly any and then minute) with 3000 grit paper .Seems a lot of coats but out of 2.5 litres I've still got about 2 litres left and didn't take long to apply with the roller and I think the finish I got is brilliant.I can highly recommend the paints and the roller they were as good as I had been led to believe.
In total I rollered
1 double wall cupboard.
1 corner wall cupboard
2 single wall cupboards
1 sink base+draw
1 single floor cabinet+draw
1 triple floor cabinet including pan draw and 2 other draws.

Close up

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi. Very helpful post thank you. I have recently painted my cabinets. Haven't achieved as good a finish as you have there. I sanded and used a couple of coats of Frenchic paint. Has certainly refreshed the look of the kitchen. Next job is to vinyl wrap the worktops...although I just know I'll melt the top within a week with a pan!

I've nearly finished the revamp of my kitchen now, biggest job was tiling the floor because I wanted the tiles up to the edge and not just to kitchen units.Led tape lighting and tiling under the wall cabinets and I'm finished.
Glad the info above might be useful.

Did you take the doors off to work on, or paint in place?
I took my MDF cabinet doors off to prime and paint, and am now going to give them a finish with Sadolin Extra Durable clear.
It's been a nightmare keeping the cat and dog away from the drying doors, and I wondered if it'll make much difference to finish them in situ?!

Sponsored Links
I took my doors off and worked on them in the garage ,this was mainly because of the dust from sanding.I don't think rolling insitu would have been a problem as the paint goes on thinly with the roller so don't get any running.

I took my doors off and worked on them in the garage ,this was mainly because of the dust from sanding.I don't think rolling insitu would have been a problem as the paint goes on thinly with the roller so don't get any running.
Could have saved yourself a lot of work by just wiping with ESP , no sanding required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back