Cable access/filling the hole in Cavity Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've run data cables from an attic, via the cavity wall, to an attached building. I could have used the existing cable run for the mains power cables to the consumer unit in the same attached building but it's hard to get to, out of the way of the new run, and I wanted to keep power and data separate. In order to achieve this I've had to make some fairly large holes in the cavity wall breeze blocks, both several inches square. I now want to make good the holes, but would like to keep the option of adding more data cables at a later date. I was thinking of refilling with a sand/cement mix but including some 32mm plastic waste pipe in each hole for the cable access. Then stuffing a foam ball into the pipe to keep the cavity wall insulation in, and the rodents out.
Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
In order to achieve this I've had to make some fairly large holes in the cavity wall breeze blocks, both several inches square.

Running mains cables in the cavities is not allowed, it's a fire risk. You are only allowed to pass directly through a cavity wall.

I also thought (amateur) that cavity walls between buildings are supposed to be a firebreak?
so holes should be sealed with non flammable filler, intumescent foam or such?

The house was built with the main cables running via the cavity 1986. I'm not adding mains cable to that run. I'm adding low voltage data cables to a new access through the cavity that is several metres away. The two don't cross or meet.

Sponsored Links
I also thought (amateur) that cavity walls between buildings are supposed to be a firebreak?
so holes should be sealed with non flammable filler, intumescent foam or such?
That was my understanding too. Hence my post.

So a piece of (flammable) plastic leaving a smaller hole breaches that firewall?
At work, loads of cables are run in open cable trays along the ceilings or corridors.
However, 3 phase or data cables that go through walls, or bridge the corridor fire doors MUST be surrounded by a fire proof filler

The house was built with the main cables running via the cavity 1986. I'm not adding mains cable to that run. I'm adding low voltage data cables to a new access through the cavity that is several metres away. The two don't cross or meet.
Low voltage is 230v

Ok.....exceeding 50v AC or 120v ripple free DC but not exceeding 1000v AC or 1500v DC between conductors or 600v AC or 900v DC between conductors and Earth

Happy Now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back