Cable inside wall cavity.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks,

I bought three new wall mounted outdoor lights for our fixer upper.
Only difficulty is that they are designed to be mounted flush with the wall, the electrical cable must come through from behind the fitting. I want to avoid ugly conduits/cable inside the living space.

I can access the wall cavity from the attic. Is there any method or tool to help run the cable through the 4" wall cavity?

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Electric cables should not be routed within the cavity of external walls.
If your preference is not to have surface mounted cable or containment, then your only real option is to chase the cable in to the internal wall.
Regulations concerning chased and buried cable would be as follows.
Permitted chase depths are no greater than 1/6th of depth of internal leaf or skin of wall for horizontal chase and no greater than 1/3rd on vertical chase.
Cables can only be buried in the permitted safe zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls
Also buried cable will very likely require the addition protection of a RCD.
Also all electrical installation of an domestic nature, must comply to part p of the building regulations.
This would mainly concern the safe installation and safe continued use of this work and any requirements of notifiable work, where applicable.

There are thin rods that screw together and can be pushed up a cavity, particularly if the hole is drilled at a very steep angle.

The Super Rod is the most common and yet the most expensive rod for 'fishing' cables in cavities.

There are others.

I assume this is a house, and you need to get from the ground floor to the loft.

If it's a bungalow you may be able to use a length of wire coat hanger.

Anyhow, you're not supposed to run cables in brick cavities, so ignore everything I have said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back