Lighting cables in wall cavity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying cables for lighting and ring main circuits in a new extension, prior to my electrician coming in to connect and test the new installation.

The openings between the main house and extension are open but not yet made good therefore I have good access to the cavity between the blocks in the internal wall. Is it permissable to run cabling up through this cavity from a light switch to the floor void / loft space above instead of chasing the cable into the wall? :?:

Sponsored Links
it sounds good but it isnt
its bad practice for one thing , and the otther is when you have it insulated (it should be anyway if outside wall) the cables may over heat, but the worst thing is cavity wall insulation, it eats pvc

Thanks for the replies,

I know this isn't good practice in exterior walls because it could cause damp to 'bridge the gap' and I am aware of the cavity wall insulation issue. However this is an internal wall. I don't know, but I don't think insulation would ever be injected into an internal wall or would it? If not does this make a difference?

Sponsored Links
Julian, if you believe that what you want to do is safe there is only one other person who needs convincing. On the basis that your electrician is the person who will be certifying the work, he would be the best person to ask.

Is the internal wall you speak of actually what used to be the outside wall?

You said there is a cavity on the internal wall and this is rarely the case (most internal walls are single thickness), if it has a cavity then if you ever have cavity wall insulation then there is a chance that it will be filled as it will *possibly* be tied into the cavity on the exterior wall it meets..

It did used to be the external wall, now internal. The area I want to run cables through is in the middle of the house and a long way from the present external walls. I guess I am just being lazy!

I have chased the new cables into the wall now, I thought it was too simple!

I hope the wall wasn't to hard to chase because under your circumstances you could have used the cavity :cry:

It would be the same as running cables in stud walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back