Shower Cable routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone can help me please. I am in the process of running cable to a shower unit i have installed. I have routed the cable from my consumer unit up to my attic within the wall cavity.

My problem now arises, the shower is mounted on an external wall and i ideally wanted to drop the cable down the cavity and into the rear of the shower but the cavity is blocked at the top and its very tight to get any tools in to drill through it.

My question is simply can i just run "trunking" up the wall and drill through the roof to run the cable through and down to the shower (keeping within electrical regulations)? Thanks Mike.

Sponsored Links
You are not supposed to run electrical cables in external wall cavities.

What size shower is it?

what size cable and OCPD are you using?

Do you have cavity wall insulation fitted?

How will you be connecting to the local DP isolator if you just come straight out of the cavity?

What provisions have you made for RCD protecting this circuit?

Does the local supplementary bonding need extending to this circuit?

Have you notified your LABC about this work?

Is your CU up to the job?

Are your PEB conductors adequate?

All other electrical cables within my house run through the wall cavities. I do not have cavity insulation. The shower is 9.5Kw using 10mm cable.

I have notified building control about this work and will get an approved electrician to comission the unit, however i want to make sure everything is ready for the electrician to just come in and connect it up.

Any ideas about running the cable within "trunking" in the bathroom? is it allowed or not?

Sponsored Links
it is acceptable to use trunking on the wall surface but how will you put in a local dp isolator if you run through the ceiling, straight to the shower???

I have installed a 45 A pullcord switch in my ceiling, the cable then runs down to the 100A CU this is fitted with a RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back