Shower cable routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With all the regs on shower cable runs, is it possible to run a 10mm cable out of the the consumer unit and straight up the outside wall, into the loft, along the joists to the switch. The cable will then have a 1.2m run inside 'straw' insulated plasterboard to the shower unit. :?:

Sponsored Links
steve-k said:
With all the regs on shower cable runs
The same as they are for any fixed cabling

is it possible to run a 10mm cable out of the the consumer unit and straight up the outside wall
Only if the cable is of a type ythats not harmed by the UV in sunlight

into the loft, along the joists to the switch.
Make sure you provide suitable cable support, you can't just lay it across the joists

The cable will then have a 1.2m run inside 'straw' insulated plasterboard to the shower unit. :?:

This will be where the cable has its lowest current carrying capacity, ensure you select the correct installation method when calculating the capacity of your cable

Are you aware of part P of thge building regulations, I trust you are planning on notifying this work to your local building control office?

Thanks for the advice Adam, yes all the work will be checked by the right bods etc. I was just wondering about my options as I have a gravity feed shower which is very old, I have repaired it with seal kits, knobs etc too many times now - its getting boring!!!

Cheers

You need a thicker cable on verticals to offset the natural tendency of gravity in opposing the flow of electric uphill.
And make cabl runs smooth because showers don`t work well with knotted electric and the water comes out lumpy

Sponsored Links
ebee said:
You need a thicker cable on verticals to offset the natural tendency of gravity in opposing the flow of electric uphill.
And make cabl runs smooth because showers don`t work well with knotted electric and the water comes out lumpy

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: this had be in stitches thanks!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

<imagines lumpy water> :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back