Cavity Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering cavity wall insulation. But, I have some electric cable inside the cavity. This was fed in from the meter which is mounted on the wall, and taken to the upper floor, and fished out, and used to intall a new ring circuit. Would the insulation affect this?

Sponsored Links
fed in from the meter? direct? or do you mean the consumer unit / fusebox? Cables shouldn't be run in cavities, partly for this reason. Insulation degrades and reduces the capacity of T+E cables.

i think your going to have to remove them all and run em burried in the surface of the wall (prefferablly in conduit) before you have the cavity wall insulation done.

remember to either stay in the permitted zones, use metal conduit or use a cable with a built in metal layer (4mm split con would probablly be the best choice if you can get it).

how do you terminate split concentric? is there a special product that you can get for terminating the ends?

Sponsored Links
afaict if its likely to get stressed possiblly use a compression gland (as you do with flex) but theres no need for anything special.

split con is really just like T&E in a different shape and with multiple neutral cores.

crafty1289 said:
how do you terminate split concentric? is there a special product that you can get for terminating the ends?

not much to terminate. just strip the outer sheateh, and your pretty much done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back