cable cable.

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting my drive monblocked. The people who are prepairing the drive have nicked the cable in places. The insulation is nicked in few of places with couple revealing the conductor. The coax is also nicked with outer 'mesh' nicked but inner core is intact.

What should I do before they cover the cable. Would insulation tape be the answer or is further action needed?

Sponsored Links
1) I assume your block paving guys are insured :LOL:

2) Do you know for sure that the cable is your responsibility? If it's your own coax you've buried then it's obvious, but if it's Virgin or someone else's then do you have the right to repair it without informing them?

3) If the cable is yours then insulation tape will be about as much use as a chocolate teapot once the cable is buried. Moisture is going to get in the cable and degrade it over time. It might not take that long for problems to show up either. Then at some point the cable will need to be replaced, and your drive dug up in the process, so it's best to get it sorted properly now.

be there's a kit similar to this but for coax cables?

There are shrink kits that either use a zip or wrap around my son has just got some from RS but for coax hardly worth the expense easier to replace the cable.
Although self amalgamating tape then insulation tape may do the job is it worth the risk? If I lay a cable under a drive it goes in a pipe so if it needs renewing one does not need to lift whole drive but only either end and a new cable can be drawn in.

Yes it is much better to pull the coax out completely & install it in a pipe.

Sponsored Links
I've not worked at Virgin for a couple of years, but when I was there if the cable was nicked in more than one place from the customers property edge to the house it would have to be replaced back to the green box.
Customer would be billed and then customer would have to take up issue with their contractor who damaged the cable to cover the charge, that's provided the cable was buried to a minimum depth in the 1st place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back