Roofer sawed through mains cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first rewire!

Many years ago shortly after moving in to my first home the roof needed resupporting as per surveyor's report. After a couple of hours of sawing and banging from the loft space the roofers departed having installed a new beam accross the width of the bungalow to take the weight of the newly istalled purlins. Being a nosey type I had look around up there and collected the sawn offcuts when I noticed some grey 2.5mm T&E cable out of place.

As I leant over to put it back in place I saw a shiny glint of copper so decided to leave well alone! They had caught the cable with the saw right over the new timber beam, with witness nicks all down the grey outer insulation showing red and black inner and the copper core.

Being a bungalow It was straight forward for me and the wife to replace the complete cable length from socket to socket, with the power off this time.

When I questioned the builders they denied all knowledge but readily knocked a tenner off the cost of the job. They must've known they'd done it though, the hard way!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back