My Domestic Wiring

It's actually not quite as simple as that. The TA6 form specifically asks (in relation to electrical work since 1/1/2005) the buyer to supply one of the following:

(a) a copy of the signed BS7671 Electrical Safety Certificate (whatever that might be!)
(b) the installer's Building Regulations Compliance Certificate
(c) the Building Control Completion Certificate
Yes, I agree, but my post was referring more to what actually happens than what is supposed to happen because the solicitor doesn't know that (well, I suppose some might but generally).
To be confronted by:
(a) There is no such thing.
(b) The work was not notifiable.
(c) I've told you, the work was not notifiable and you don't have both (b) and (c).
does not interest them.

I suppose they might regard almost anything sent to them which mentions BS7671 as satisfying (a), but since the document referred to does not actual exist, I'm not sure how they can know whether they have received the right thing or not
Exactly. As long as they have something.

... and, heaven forbid, someone just answers "NO". That also keeps them happy.

Without reading it all again, if the OP says he has had a new CU and with it an EIC and Compliance Certificate all is well.
As I said, they won't query any details.

Sponsored Links
Exactly. As long as they have something. ... and, heaven forbid, someone just answers "NO". That also keeps them happy.
Indeed. In any event, as I keep saying, in terms of what I've seen, even if one says that work has been done (since 1/1/2005) but that "sorry, we have no certificates or any other documentation", there are rarely any significant problems. I think that very few people would pull out of a purchase because there was no paperwork relating to past electrical work.

I suspect that people worry because they think that buyers and their solicitors are some sort of 'police', but it really doesn't work like that! Only if one lied in response to the enquires and the sale went through would there be a theoretical risk of the buyer taking action against the seller.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, it's not like planning permission where if someone had built something illegally and sold it, the Local Authority could order it demolished.

As we both usually say, the price is for as it is; do you want to buy it or not?

Yes, it's not like planning permission where if someone had built something illegally and sold it, the Local Authority could order it demolished. As we both usually say, the price is for as it is; do you want to buy it or not?
Exactly.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
PBoD - you and the others can twist and turn all you like, but it is abundantly clear from reading your posts that you are suggesting having the CU replaced to get an EIC with which to mislead others.
I would agree to a certain extent - but checking the wiring with an EICR (or CU change with EIC) is all that can be done, or would be done by the LA if the work were to be"regularised" by them.
As said, even if it is admitted that work has been done but no paperwork is available, nothing can be done but treat it like any other house with old wiring.

Solicitors do not know about electrical work and so are not in a position to delve into it further with detailed questions.

As said, even if it is admitted that work has been done but no paperwork is available, nothing can be done but treat it like any other house with old wiring.
Exactly. A sensible prospective buyer might well then feel the need for an EICR, and might attempt to get the seller to at least partially pay for that - but, as you say, there is really nothing else that, realistically, can be done. As always, the important thing (for the seller) is not to lie.

In the case of many of the houses I see being bought/sold, the honest answer given to the question as to whether any electrical work has been done since 1/1/2005 is "Not known" (and obviously no paperwork is available), and that very rarely produces any 'problems' with the sale (apart from attempts at haggling - which happens anyway!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back