cable protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ring circuit in 2.5 t+e protected by a 32a mcb, if I then take a spur off this to a twin socket in 2.5 t+e, does this mean the spur cable is not adequately protected by the 32a mcb?

Sponsored Links
it depends how you define adequately protected i'm sure you could come up with some hypothetical situation that would start a fire with any combination of cable breaker and voltage that was capable of transmitting more than a few watts of power.

in the case of the ring spur the spur should be short cuircuit protected by the MCB (there may be issues with this if the cables are too long but the same can be said of almost any cuircuit arrangement.)

the plug fuse protects against a dodgy appliance drawing more current than it should do for a sustained period.

now its true if there is a double socket on the end and someone plugged in two bar fires they might cook the cable but they would probablly cook the socket first!!! DOUBLE SOCKETS ARE ONLY RATED AT 13A!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back