cable coming out of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating the kitchen and there is a cable coming out of the plaster in the middle of the wall which supplies power to a small kitchen unit light which is on the lighting circuit.
I want to tidy this up , what are my options can I fit something like an fcu on the wall, I would like some advice from you experts please.
I know only a cowboy would leave a cable like that but it was like that when I moved into house

Cheers

:) View media item 81365

Sponsored Links
Install a Switched Fused Connection Unit to safely terminate the cable end, fit a three amp fuse to power any cabinet lighting unit.

Sponsored Links
If it is definately on the lighting circuit then this is an option,

ae235

From ScrewFix Round Pin Socket 5A WhiteProduct Code: 92273

Thanks for reply, what should I have then as I dont want to leave it as it is, looks proper cowboy ?
Assuming you want to use it for lighting, a light switch. If choosing lights, try to avoid any with wall-wart power supplies, as they need a socket to plug into.

The cable coming out of the wall is already connected to a small cabinet type strip light so I dont want to fit something to the wall that needs a plug fitting,
I just want some type of connection unit to fit flush on the wall so it looks a proper job

Cheers

How about a flex outlet plate? Something like this

Or, if you can route the cable vertically, just bury it in the wall. It would probably be easier than chopping out for a back box anyway.

How about a flex outlet plate? Something like this

Or, if you can route the cable vertically, just bury it in the wall. It would probably be easier than chopping out for a back box anyway.

That looks ok, the cable is 2 core 0.75smm no earth, is this ok safety wise fitting a metal back box in wall as I understand you cannot get plastic ones, dont mind chopping out wall to fit box

Cheers

the cable should have an earth, even if the striplight is double insulated. Are you sure it's not been cut back?

If there really is no earth then a plastic box, plastic faceplate, and a warning notice at the CU.

400px-Warning-notice-lights.png

the cable should have an earth, even if the striplight is double insulated. Are you sure it's not been cut back?

If there really is no earth then a plastic box, plastic faceplate, and a warning notice at the CU.

400px-Warning-notice-lights.png

The markings on cable are 2 x 0.75mm2 and the connection to light fitting is a 2 pin plug type View media item 81389

My first thought when I read "the cable is 2 core 0.75smm no earth" was that someone had used flex, but in the photo it looks for all the world like grey T&E to me....

Ok I think what I will go for is a shallow plastic 1 gang surface mounted box and a plastic flex outlet face plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back