cable for outside lights

S

skwirrel

Hi All

I need some advice - I've just moved house and was checking the lights on the back of the house two cheap bk/hds that I've removed. They were connected with flat twin lamp flex!!! which has perished. The cable was fitted to the wall. I want to put some new lights up need some advice on cabling for the outside.
1.Do I need to use SWA which is a bit bulky even at lowest rating.
2. What's a suitable alternative

NB I can't access through the wall as house is newly decorated and upstairs is all new flooring - previous owners must have been 'House Doctor@ fans. But bodged on electrics.

I am also considering LV lighting for simplicity as I only require mood lighting (not my bad mood!!!)

I am not a fully qualified leccy but I am an Electrical/Electronic Engineer so I no about safety aspects etc

Suggestions please

TIA

Skwirrel :mad:

Sponsored Links
What about FP200 cable.

How did you remove the old wiring - did you just cut them off flush with the outside wall?

No I may be daft but I'm not stupid. Traced cable back to socket behind TV.

Sponsored Links
provided you aren't burying the stuff i would use arctic blue

FT1.5SLASH2R.jpg

fp 200 (well almost)

CA2.5ART3B.jpg

artic blue (also available in yellow)

breezer said:
CA2.5ART3B.jpg

artic blue (also available in yellow)

Breezer, you are correct, arctic cable is available in Blue and Yellow, however Yellow is for 110V supplies only and should not be used for mains voltage.

Sqwirrel, I would go with FP200, it looks better for permanent installations exterior to a building, if it is ever painted it will not be degraded, arctic blue will crack if the wrong paint is used as it is not designed to be painted, and FP200, being stiffer, can be clipped more neatly on a surface.

If you still wish to run this lighting via the ring, then you will need to introduce a switched, fused spur to the ring, and use this to power the lights, after replacing the fuse with a 3A.

Thanks All

FP200 it is and it will blend in with red brick work although I notice theres no price in the TLC catalogue must be expensive.

I'm going to spur off from downstairs lighting circuit and fit an out side IP56 switch.

Cheers

Dave

the catalogues i have seen have listed the yellow arctic cable as being identially rated to the blue stuff

useing the yellow for 240V could give the wrong impression though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back