Cable from master box - old colours (phones)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having fully refurbished a property from a shell, I am now left with the task of connecting the phone line. There is a box on the wall just beneath the gutter with a wire coming into it from the telegraph pole. I'm assuming this to be the "Master Box". There is a cable coming from it , going into the loft space. This cable - black - has 7 wires , 3 yellows and 4 plain coloured, black blue green orange.
How do these old colours compare with the new wiring code and how do I connect these to an internal box to complete the system.
Hope this make sense.

Thanks as always in advance for any help :)

Sponsored Links
AFAIK you can't. BT has to come and fit a master socket from where you can then run your extensions if you want to.
Up to master socket belongs to BT, after it is your responsibity.

yeah BT coulda used any pair of colours.

Tip, if you want a flush box, stick a 25mm single box in the wall with a hole going from a rear knockout to outside, then BT should mount the master straight to it and not use a horrid surface box.

What you are desribing sounds like an external junction box. You still need to connect this to your Master Socket, which will be a telephone point inside the house. It will look like this: http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/talktalk/nte5.JPG

If you don't have one like this, you need to check which of your telephone sockets has a capacitor in the back of it.

Your telephone company will wire it up for you. If you're desperate to do it yourself, you can wire a pair of cables up and see if your phone works trial by error. Or use a meter if you have one.

Sponsored Links
You need to look in the "master box" & see which pair is used, then connect up to your new internal master socket in the same way using the existing cable.

The wire that comes from the pole this is the correct wiring format....the three yellow wires are the cable strengthners as this cable swings in the wind and these are there to stop in stretching..nothing else..the orange/white is yoour first line and green/black is for a 2nd line.. the box just under the guttering will be a junction box and the wire from there will go to your mau socket (wherever that is) and the main socket should be a nte5

Lemme guess some idiot ripped out the phone wiring without saving the bits and taking notes.

You aren't supposed to touch the wiring before the master socket but since you probablly already have you may as well try and put it back.

I would connect a NTE5 (preferablly a BT branded one but sometimes beggars can't be choosers) and connect it to the orange and white pair using BT spec cable and using jellies to join the wire. Your line will most likely be on the orange and white pair but it may be on the green and black pair if there has been a wiring fault in the past and the engineer was lazy (apparently they are supposed to replace the wire if the orange and white pair fails but I bet they don't always bother).

Great....... much appreciated. As always, thanks for your input. :) Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back