Telephone cable...old colours from Master box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having fully refurbished a property from a shell, I am now left with the task of connecting the phone line. There is a box on the wall just beneath the gutter with a wire coming into it from the telegraph pole. I'm assuming this to be the "Master Box". There is a cable coming from it , going into the loft space. This cable - black - has 7 wires , 3 yellows and 4 plain coloured, black blue green orange.
How do these old colours compare with the new wiring code and how do I connect these to an internal box to complete the system.
Hope this make sense.

Thanks as always in advance for any help

(Mod....could you please delete the post in electrics....I must have put it in that topic by mistake....... Thanks.....Eric :) )

Sponsored Links
Having fully refurbished a property from a shell, I am now left with the task of connecting the phone line.
That's actually not a task for the homeowner.

There is a box on the wall just beneath the gutter with a wire coming into it from the telegraph pole. I'm assuming this to be the "Master Box".
You assume incorrectly.

There is a cable coming from it , going into the loft space. This cable - black - has 7 wires , 3 yellows and 4 plain coloured, black blue green orange.
How do these old colours compare with the new wiring code and how do I connect these to an internal box to complete the system.
There's no such thing as "the new wiring code", but you connect the cable by calling your phone line provider.

Having fully refurbished a property from a shell, I am now left with the task of connecting the phone line. There is a box on the wall just beneath the gutter with a wire coming into it from the telegraph pole. I'm assuming this to be the "Master Box". There is a cable coming from it , going into the loft space. This cable - black - has 7 wires , 3 yellows and 4 plain coloured, black blue green orange.
Hope this make sense.

Thanks as always in advance for any help

(Mod....could you please delete the post in electrics....I must have put it in that topic by mistake....... Thanks.....Eric :) )

Ok, the cable from the pole is dropwire the 3 yellows are steel wires that support the cable, the line could be across any two of the other wires, dependant of the BT monkey who wired the pole ;)
Just wire these into a BT terminating box, and away you go... simple job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back