Cable identification - sleeving switch wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just carried out a PIR on a property, which looked like it had been rewired in the last couple of years ( new colours ), but no certificate present.
None of the switch wires were sleeved. I marked it down on the report as a 1.
The place had recently been replastered and decorated and the lazy plasterer had not bothered to unscrew the switches, so some would result in damage if removed.

Is it essential to sleeve the switch wires ? It seems a lot of upheaval for nowt to me.

Sponsored Links
Mighty Quinn said:
<snip>

Is it essential to sleeve the switch wires ? It seems a lot of upheaval for nowt to me.

Well you are the one who has just classified the situation as 'requireing urgent attention'...

Adam_151 said:
Mighty Quinn said:
<snip>

Well you are the one who has just classified the situation as 'requireing urgent attention'...

:oops: I didn't mean to put 1 tbh. I actually wrote 3 on the report. Or it could be a 4.

Sponsored Links
So then. You are avoiding the question. Would you put it right ? ;)[/quote]

Normally I do it as I'm going round testing as it's only a 2 min job.
But seen as the plaster is going to make it difficult I'd be inclined to quote first with a priviso that any damage caused to plaster will not be covered by myself.

comms said:
So then. You are avoiding the question. Would you put it right ? ;)

Normally I do it as I'm going round testing as it's only a 2 min job.
But seen as the plaster is going to make it difficult I'd be inclined to quote first with a priviso that any damage caused to plaster will not be covered by myself.[/quote]

Cheers, that's what I thought. I didn't open all accessories ( made a limitation before anyone asks ;) ), so I presume they are all like this.

The purpose of a PIR is to report the results of inspection and testing of an installation and you are not expected to remedy faults.

Are you competent to do PIRs, as you've just marked missing sleeving as "requires urgent attention" and asked if you need to remedy faults?

newspark_paul said:
The purpose of a PIR is to report the results of inspection and testing of an installation and you are not expected to remedy faults.

Are you competent to do PIRs, as you've just marked missing sleeving as "requires urgent attention" and asked if you need to remedy faults?

Read the thread again.

I also do the repairs.

i have read the thread, and seen you now see missing sleeving as a a 3 or 4. You can fix as you go or leave it (nobody is facing death from missing sleeving).

You didn't answer my question as to whether you're competent to carry out PIRs.

newspark_paul said:
i have read the thread, and seen you now see missing sleeving as a a 3 or 4. You can fix as you go or leave it (nobody is facing death from missing sleeving).

You didn't answer my question as to whether you're competent to carry out PIRs.

:LOL: Are you a spy for building control or NICEIC ?

Read it again. I typed 1 by accident. No, I'm not going to answer you, just to annoy you ;)

I'm not a spy, ust a spark. You asked if you fix as you go and the anwer is you're not obliged to fix but can if you wish. The fact you changed your code from 1 originally to 4 (or possibly 3 - don't you know which?) after a couple of replies makes it look like you know what's required for I&T.

I have 2391 and have enough experience to I&T (but will never know enough to stop learning) and it's the experience that counts here.

I don't know if you're aware of the legal status of the certificates you are issuing. If you miss something, the certificates can be used as evidence in court if you're sued.

Don't take things so personal mate, its not an attack, just advice to someone who seems like a newbie :D

newspark_paul said:
I'm not a spy, ust a spark. You asked if you fix as you go and the anwer is you're not obliged to fix but can if you wish. The fact you changed your code from 1 originally to 4 (or possibly 3 - don't you know which?) after a couple of replies makes it look like you know what's required for I&T.

I have 2391 and have enough experience to I&T (but will never know enough to stop learning) and it's the experience that counts here.

I don't know if you're aware of the legal status of the certificates you are issuing. If you miss something, the certificates can be used as evidence in court if you're sued.

Don't take things so personal mate, its not an attack, just advice to someone who seems like a newbie :D

Eh ? :LOL:

I didn't change it from 1. I typed it wrong on my first post. You won't take it personal if I say I've already told you that I mistyped 1, and I think you can't read ;)

I didn't ask if I fixed as I go, although I can see how that came across. I do all of my repairs after the initial PIR.

Been a spark for 22 years btw, and been doing I & T for 8 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back