Earth Sleeving - Is This A Recent Thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently changed a few minor things, changed a 1 gang light switch in the garage for a 2 gang, altered the height of a light cable hanging from a bedroom ceiling, removed a wall light to decorate, etc. And in every case the earth wire had no sleeving. So I put some on all of the above. (Am I right in thinking this serves two purposes, to indicate that it is earth, and to prevent contact from other terminals).
The house was re-wired about 12-15 years ago, before we moved in, we've been in about 10 years. So is earth sleeving a recent thing and not something which was done in the past. Or did the electricians who did the re-wire simply not bother, or had run out and couldn't care to buy any more.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though the electrician doing the job either couldn't be bothered or had no earth sleeving.
It was probably not done by an electrician at all, but by the builder. Some builders seem to think they could do the electrics and plumbing to save a bob or two!

You are correct in your asumption as to the reason for sleeveing & if by "recent" you mean 20-25 years( maybe even more) then yes, it is recent. Even 12-15 years ago I would have thought people would have used it as a matter of course.Perhaps you never had a full re-wire, how old is the house?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. The house was built in the 50's, and the re-wire done about 12-15 years ago, still have the receipt for it, full re-wire, which the previous occupants left for us. I've always thought the electrics/re-wire was done to a high standard, the cabling is very neat where it's on show (garage, meter cupboard) never any nuisance trips, very reliable and everything 'right'. Errrr...apart from lack of earth sleeving. And never enough cable when changing sockets and switches! Do any of you guys ever leave enough to stop us having to struggle like mad with one eye and cheek pushed up tight against the wall when trying to change a socket or switch, never enough god damn cable!

when installing a socket or switch for that matter the cable should go to the opposite side from where it enters then "fold" back to be level with the terminals

a bit like the letter z if you see what i mean

There should be enough slack on the wires to pull the switch / socket away from the wall, making it easy to connect the accesory.

If you had a really top job done then you will have conduits in the wall which will allow you to pull some slack from the void above or below.

If I have this bit right, the use of solid green to denote earth was discontinued in 1977. I THINK....

But I also THINK that sleeving was introduced in the 14th, in 1966.

There is a reference to this in part p - appendix C - Page 35 - Older Practice and Alteration Work:

"The Wiring Regulations used to accept the single colour green for the identification of protective conductors. However, since 1977 a green-yellow coding has been required for all protective conductors installed.
The older green sleeving or tape should be replaced with the new green-yellow striped variety whenever connections are re-made."

Jaymack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back