help needed urgently! stupid extractor fan!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There must be a sparky on here who can help me?
Basicly ive recently done the bathroom up and the girlfriend wanted a new light fitting, problem is there is an extractor fan linked somehow to the lighting circuit. so stupidly i removed the fan wiring (blue,yellow,red) then at this point the the red sleeves dropped off of the other wiring which feeds the landing, bedroom and batroom lights. These sleeves were on black wires so im assuming two of these black wires are supposed to be live?
I now cant figure out how to wire in a new light as i want to remove the fan circuit and block the hole up. Any help would be very appreciated as we cant see!

as a re-cap i have
Red,Black,Earth
Red,Black,Earth
Red,Black,Earth
Blue,Yellow,Red,Earth

All hanging from one light

would it be wise to go in the attic and lift the boards up to see where they go?
oh my house is about 10 years old if that helps any pros out there.
Sorry if i sound a bit dense but ive done lights before and they were no way near as tricky as this.

Sponsored Links
OK, of the 3 red black and earth cables:

One is a switch wire
One is a feed to this light
One is a feed to the other lights.

The 3 core and earth will be the feed to the fan.

Firstly, the three twin and earths:

One of these cables, when measured for resistance between red and black, will give differing readings on a multimeter when the switch is flicked. The multimeter will be shown to go from infinity to zero resistance. This is the switch wire. Mark the black core with something red. Tape is ideal.

OK, the two other twin and earths (the mains power ones) need to be connected as follows:
*Red to a terminal block on its own. The light fiting may have come with one. If not, supply one yourself. This is the Loop.
Black to the neutral of the fitting.

The switch wire needs to be connected as follows:
*Red to the Loop fitting (3 cores so far here)
Black (with red marker) to the Live of the fitting.

Connect all earths together.

The fan wire - you need to find which terminals are connected to which at the fan. But once the above is complete, you can re-energise the circuit without the fan and do this later. The fan cable wont have any power to it.

USUALLY the fan cable is
red to permanent live
blue to neutral
yellow (with red sleeve) to switched live

So, to re-cap
All four red wires get joined together

Switch wire black sleeved with red
and yellow sleeved with red go to live of light fitting

Remaining two blacks and blue go to neutral of light fitting

All earths together, if fitting is metal make sure it is earthed.

If you struggle getting all these wires into the fitting you can fit a 20 amp 4 terminal junction box in the loft, with just one cable (L, N, E,) going to the fitting.

Fit heat proof sleeving if required.

Thaks ever so much steve and sparkwright sounds great. Ive got a multimeter so i'll check tommorrow afternoon as im way too sparked out tonight! just have to make sure i dont put the birds clothes on in the morning by mistake!
Thanks again to both of you

Sponsored Links
just have to make sure i dont put the birds clothes on in the morning by mistake!
393568173bkotxwph.jpg

Just to let you know guys i got the problem sorted and the new light is up and running. Thanks again
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back