ceiling fan in bedroom, help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just replacing a ceiling fan in bedroom, the one i took off had 4 wires coming from it - 4 wires come from ceiling - (red black earth and brown)the new fan only has 3 wires, (live neutral and earth)
I have wired the black, red and earth to the fan but i now have a brown wire left over coming from the ceiling, im presuming this is a live and have left it in chock block not connected to anything, where should this wire go to??
wires from ceiling - red black brown green
wires on fan - blue red yellow
the ceiling fan has a light built into it, there is also another light in room, both of these are operated by a switch on wall and a pull cord by bed. hope this is enough info for you guys to help me.

Sponsored Links
That is an unusual colour combination, but most fans with lights have 4 connections - Neutral, permanent live for the fan, switched live for the light and earth. The fan being switched from a cord on the fan and the light operated from the light switch on the wall.

Blue red and yellow does not suggest any of them are earth - are you sure the fan requires an earth wire?

sorry the yellow is earth i meant to put green, the fan is operated via a remote so no pull cord - the wires going into the remote is four wires but it then comes out to connect to ceiling wires and only has the 3 terminals for connection, which is red black and earth (green/yellow) so that leaves me with the brown coming from ceiling spare as im not sure where it should go
4 wires from ceiling connect into a chock block inside fan, but only 3 connections for red black and earth, leaving spare brown wire - the chock block links then onto the remote with 4 wires coming off to the fan motor, then there is a further connection from this to the actual light bulb.
its al working but i am unsure of this spare brown wire and where it should go to

Sponsored Links
The brown is probably a switched live from a light switch on the wall.
As your fan does not appear to need this, just put a piece of choc connector on the end of it and leave it inside the enclosure with the other wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back