Ceiling fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another wiring question for you good folks

I have a cascade (brand name) arizona (model) ceiling fan and light to fit, the existing ceiling rose has 9 wires in it, the switch wires, the mains wires and the wires to feed the next light in the circuit.

The ceiling fan has 4 wires, they are colour coded and labelled, brown (live) blue (neutral) green/yellow (earth) and red (light).

The instructions show you what to do with 3 wires, the brown the blue and the green/yellow but they dont show where the red goes, its electrics, i dont just want to go with my hunch and guess, any ideas?!

Cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi Eric, unfortunately not, im still non the wiser with that, the fan has 3 wires that need to go places?!

In ceiling rose you will normally have 4 connections one being earth to which all earth wires go to so now to terminal block it will have a double connector which should go to light this will also connect to your red wire on fan the in center a triple connector this will go to brown on fan and finally a triple with also goes to lamp this will also have blue wire from fan.
Saying that somewhere you need to mount an isolator switch i.e. Screwfix No 12319 this is a special for fans which is triple pole and can be locked off. The fans do sometimes go faulty and because they have a permanent live without the isolator if it does go wrong you may lose all lighting on that circuit.
You are aware that work in a bathroom comes under Part P and the LABC will need notifying before you start and the new BS 7671:2008 regs require that all circuits in a bathroom need RCD protection which in the past was not included in the supply to the lights so you may also need to fit an RCD or RCBO to get the completion cert from building controls.
Since you could not follow my plan you may be better employing a registered electrician to do this work by time you count the LABC charges it will not cost much more than DIY.
Eric

Sponsored Links
You haven't mentioned how you want the fan to work.

Time over run or simple on / off with the light.

The ceiling fan has 4 wires, they are colour coded and labelled, brown (live) blue (neutral) green/yellow (earth) and red (light).

For time over run you need both the main (permanent) live and the switched (the one that turns the bathroom light on) live.

Earth is self explanatory, as is neutral. The switched live should have sleeve (brown or red) on it and this goes with your red light core.

Eric is correct in suggesting you seek a trades person if this isn't clear.

As for 3 way isolation, it's not necessary as long as the room has natural light. It is good practice and does mean that if the fan needs future work you have no need to kill the entire floors lights via off at the mcb / fuse board.

Eric, i dont mean to sound rude as im honestly not trying to be, im a big user of forums for my various hobbies and i know some messages on them can be read as being antagonistic when theyre not meant to be, i had to read the end of your post a couple of times as i wasnt sure if you were coming across that way (im sure your not!)

I couldnt follow your plan because it didnt show me the information i was asking (as far as i can see anyway) it only shows 3 wires coming from the fan in your diagram, the fan i have has 4 wires as mentioned earlier.

This work isnt to be carried out in a bathroom, i apologise if my original post suggested that, its the center light in my dining room that im replacing with a combined fan/light. and yep i am aware that work in a bathroom would need an isolator

I honestly appreciate any help given from anybody that can point out where the red (light) wire should go, ive got the brown blue and earth covered.

I guess people saw the reference to 4 wires and assumed bathroom fan with timer. I suppose this combined fan and light has separate live feeds so that the light and the fan can be switched separately. Cos you probably don't want the fan on everytime the light is on.

So you would need to run a separate cable back to a second switch on the wall.

Of course, if you don't mind the lamp coming on at the same time as the fan, then you may be able to just join the red wire to the brown one. Though I would want to check that with a multimeter if there are no further instructions.

If the light/ fan unit includes one (or two) pull cord switches to control the fan like the one we have, the connections are Brown = live loop in/loop out, Blue = neutral, earth = earth and red = switched live connection in ceiling rose.
That allows the fan to be controlled by the pull cord switches, and the light by the wall switch.

If you find the light is permanently on, and the fan only runs when the wall switch is turned on, then reverse the red and brown connections.

You could connect both red and brown to the switched live, but then the fan would only work when the light was on.

If you run another switched live from a second switch, that could replace the permanent live, and be used to control the fan on/off in place of the pull cord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back