Ceiling fan wiring......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someoneone help me out here, l have a ceiling fan with 3 small spot lights fitted with it and l'm hoping to fit it in my living room.
It has 3 wires which are brown(live) blue(neutral) and a red wire which says light and a earth wire and there is a terimal block for these wires to go into. So on the terimal block brown , blue, and red are in seperate terimals, my question is from the ceiling wiring/rose which wire goes to the red light on the terimal block... Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming the fan is controlled by a switch in the fan and the lights by a switch on the wall then it MIGHT be as follows

The present lamp holder has a blue and a brown wire.

The ceiling wires that presently connect to the lamps blue will go to the fan's neutral ( Blue ) The single ceiling wire ( probably blue or black with a brown or red sleeve ) is the switched live and will go the to red wire in the fan. There will be two or three other red wires in the ceiling which are connected together but do not connect to the lamp. These are the permanent live wires and these will need to be connected to the fan's live wire.

That is assuming the fan requires permanent live for the motor controlled by a switch in the fan ( or a remote wireless contol ) and switched live ( from a wall switch ) for the lamps.

As the fan has an earth wire you need to ensure the earth wires in the ceiling are effective ( are connected to the earth terminals at the consumer unit. If they are not then fitting this fan could create a hazard of electric shock.

Also the rotating blades are a hazard in rooms with low ceilings. There is a minimum height from floor to fan blades which should be observed and it is not possible then the fan should not be fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back