new ceiling light with fan... 4 wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Do I feel silly. I have an electrician come around to help with a fault with RCD, and didn't give serious consideration to him stopping on and helping with a light fitting change.

Some years back, I replaced a ceiling rose with a new light & fan combination. The ceiling presented 3 red wires, 3 black and green / yellows ( sharing a sleeve, can't tell how many in it, but think 3 ) .

All the reds are grouped together in the same block for the "loop" bit, that I recognise.

The green / yellow from ceiling, and from light fitting are also grouped into same block.

The brown live from light fitting is in block with a black from ceiling.

The blue neutral from light fitting is in a block with the other two blacks from ceiling.

Ok, the new fitting to go up has... 4 wires, which are marked as follows:-
Green / yellow - earth.
Brown - live
Blue - neutral
Red - light.

Yep, it's the fourth that has thrown me. "Red - light".

The document supplied with the new fitting doesn't mention this extra wire that I can see.

fan-doc.jpg

fan-fitting.jpg

Can anyone help me understand what I'm supposed to do with this extra red "light" cable please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried connecting it without the red connected? I would suspect the fan will work but not the light, in which case you need to connect the red & brown together, unless you want them to work independantly in which case you need another switched live to connect to the red.

There are two pull cords on the fitting.

One to the side, operates the fan to 4 setting. Off, slow.. medium and fast rotations. The one on the underside, is for the lights to on or off state.

I haven't attempted to fit it yet, until knew where things were going with confidence as other than open up the current fixture to see what's there didn't want to lose the light source!

Sponsored Links
Now that you've got me thinking a bit more, I've had a look at the various bits of kit. The light attachment is separate from the fan motor body with three screws to join them together.

However, the interesting part is the wire collection that links the light fitting to the fan fitting. It's a male & female brick, with live, neutral and earth pins inside. Neutral coloured blue, earth the traditional green n yellow and so red i'm thinking is the live, but is marked as "light".

fan-fitting2.jpg

The four cables coming out of the fan top for connecting to the ceiling, would hint as you've suggested, the brown live and red light, are both to be used together.

But I'm not sparky and wouldn't know possible consequences of this if it's not correct thinking. On the other hand, I also can't see how else it would go either! Curse their documentation for not saying what to do!

BTW, if anyone is interested. The fitting is called "Zeus" and was purchased from B&Q.

In previous post I mentioned the fitting had two cords to operate the lights and fan independent. Might be common sense / obvious, but the cord for light is on the lower attachment so all its switch circuits are within there. The fan, cord is attached to the fan chasis, and as you can imagine there are lots of cables out of picture view.

the picture is a little blured and I cant quite read the colours but it looks like:

S/L - Red

I cant quite work out where the brown wire goes, pic is a little blured, it looks as if it connects to the black of the switch line - but I wouldnt connect it without a proper look at the instructions. The brown wire would only be a S/L or permenant Live, I would have thought it would say somewhere in the instructions something like this:

Red - S/L
Brown - S/L or Permenant L
Blue - Neutral
Green / Yelow - CPC

It might be as simple as someone already posted join the brown and red together and connect to the S/L, maybe you can rescan the instructions or tell us were the brown wire goes?

Hi There

No qualified electrician etc but i have a ceiling fan/light combo from B&Q and i wired the red into the switched live at the ceiling. It allows me to control the lights with the standard light switch on the wall if the pull cord for the lights is left permanently in the on position.

The fan(brown wire) is connected to the permanent live and the pull cord is used to adjust the fan speed regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

Make any sense? Of course, this relies on you having a switched live and permanent live at the location where you intend to install the light.

If you connect both the brown and the red to live then everything is controlled via the pull cords.

If you only have a switched live then connecting brown and red will mean that the wall switch has to be in the on position for anything to work.

Laters

your "loop" wires go to the "live" wire..

the 2 blacks go to the neutral

the other black ( that used to go to the brown ) goes to the "light"

light is then switched either from the wall switch, or the pull cord..

fan is switched from the pull cord and can be on without the light being on..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back