Cable in 25mm service void below insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps, I have a vaulted ceiling that has 100mm celotex between the rafters and then 50mm below it with all joints taped with foil tape.

This has been counter battened with a 25mm batten and the plasterboard has then been fixed to the batten. This leaves a 25mm void between the insulation and plasterboard.

There is an 11kW induction hob going in and I am looking to change the planned position for this. From what I can see the ideal most direct cable route to the new location would be in this void.

The chaps have already run in a 10mm² feed to the old hob location.

If I go ahead with the move is it likely they would use the void to run the cable or is it too close to the insulation?

If it is ok would it be ok for the cable to rest on the plasterboard or do i need to take the ceiling down tomorrow so they could get some clips in there to support the cable?

Sponsored Links
If it is 10mm² T&E on a standard 32A 'cooker' circuit then the cable can be run anywhere.

The maximum derating for even completely surrounded by thermal insulation is 50%, so for 10mm² T&E this would result in 32A.

It can rest on the plasterboard.

Cheers, it would appear they have a 50A RCBO lined up to go on this (or at least thats whats in the board at the mo....)

I guess this will still be ok in the void given its not touching insulation? They aren't due to the end of the week so i guess ill find out then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back