cable in ceiling space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've threaded a 6mm t&e cable through a ceiling void to an external wall in order to power a 7KW EV charger. Obviously, its difficult to pin the cable to joists to get clearnce from the ceiling. In this case, does the cable need to be in protective duct or is it not necessary as its RCD protected? If duct is required, what spec do I need?
Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to have "clearance from the ceiling" nor a protective duct and the RCD is nothing to do with that.

The cable should not be surrounded by thermal insulation although 6mm² and 7kW is quite a tolerance..

Thanks for the prompt response.
Just to confirm....
The fact that the new 6mm t&e cable is sitting on the ceiling within the void is OK?? I'm doing this work in advance of getting an electrician in to connect to the new EV charger and the consumer unit which are both on different sides of the house. I didn't want to do something that the electrician will consider unacceptable practice and not do the work for me.

Is there anything else I should consider while I have the upstairs floorboards up?

Many thanks for your help..

Thanks for the prompt response.
Just to confirm....
The fact that the new 6mm t&e cable is sitting on the ceiling within the void is OK?? I'm doing this work in advance of getting an electrician in to connect to the new EV charger and the consumer unit which are both on different sides of the house. I didn't want to do something that the electrician will consider unacceptable practice and not do the work for me.

Is there anything else I should consider while I have the upstairs floorboards up?

Many thanks for your help..
A customer running in cables for me is unacceptable practice, and we wouldn't complete the job for you on that basis.

Sponsored Links
A customer running in cables for me is unacceptable practice, and we wouldn't complete the job for you on that basis.
It's one cable, surely can be assessed by the electrician.
I know you need to charge £50/metre to lay cables, but others might be busy enough to inspect and test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back