RCBO for EV Charger

I have to agree with you. I looked at plug in chargers, this upload_2022-3-22_12-58-9.png cost £270, plugs into a 32 amp socket, charge rate selectable 8A, 10A, 13A, 16A, 20A, 32A I personally don't like the idea, far better to have a dedicated EV charge point, but this does show how cheap they can be.

No details saying if 6 mA DC trip, loss of PEN trip, if built in RCD or not, seems loss of PEN rare, but built in RCD and 6 mA DC detection reasonable standard.

So with a TN-C-S (PME) supply there are basic three options, make the supply TT, use a small earth rod as a reference point, or have it auto disconnect if the voltage is not within 207 to 253 volt. The latter seems an easy way out, the supply is 230 volt +10%. / -6% and the volt drop in the property is limited to 5%, so voltage has to be 205.5 to 253 volt.

So a 47.6 volt window, but loss of PEN will only cause over or under voltage if not balanced, it could with the multi-earth rods stay within the limits for a long time, and of course the reverse a local solar panel could tip the balance with over voltage, and machinery starting could tip the balance with under voltage.

I only know one guy with an EV van, and I have seen it at the side of road too many times, range was 110 miles milk round 64 miles, it should do that easy, even with a 3.5 kW charger. He says he never uses heater, and he does not drive fast, he says gauge shows well over half charged when he has finished the round, the problem is travelling from Wirral to North Wales after round has finished in the main getting up the Aston Hill. Most the time he makes it home, and he has not worked out why on the odd time he doesn't.

What's the betting it was not fully charged, some thing stopped it fully recharging.

Does not need to be a car or van, my e-bike has the same problem, normally from Llanfair to Welshpool and back still shows ¼ charge or more, but last time out, daughter rescued me, OK could have in fullness of time peddled home, but for some reason battery was not fully charged.

But with a car you can't fold it in half and stick it in the back of another car. Or peddle it home.

Sponsored Links
Informing the DNO of the extra load is one thing. But a new circuit is notifiable to your local authority as I have already explained. Notify before you start and pay the fee. They will test it when installed and probably charge another fee.

Informing the DNO of the extra load is one thing. But a new circuit is notifiable to your local authority as I have already explained. Notify before you start and pay the fee. They will test it when installed and probably charge another fee.
Not if someone with quals and registered with niceic surely?

Sponsored Links
Not if someone with quals and registered with niceic surely?
I have no idea of Scottish Rules, you have a warrant system where in England and Wales we have Part P building regulations.

The IET regulations (which are not law but can be used in a court of law) say only person who can issue the installation certificate is the person doing the work. In Wales you need to inform the LABC first and pay £100 plus vat and then some one who is not a scheme member can do the work, the LABC inspector can use a third party inspector of his selection to inspect and test, they normally used the EICR form not the Installation certificate to present the results, there is no fixed pass/fail or extent of inspection for an EICR, it is up to the inspector, so that is why the LABC needs to engage the tester so they have the ability to set what is tested i.e. test as if a new installation.

In Wales work in the garden needs registering, in England it does not, so in England only a new circuit needs registering so if for example the old supply to a shower was reused to supply a 32 amp socket outside then technically it would not need the LABC to be informed, seems stupid I know, but unless a court case makes case law, as it stands some one in England could fit a 32 amp socket to an old shower supply, buy the lead I have shown and not technically break the law.

Clearly however it would not comply with the spirit of the law, and could be dangerous, unlike gas where the DIY man can do as he wants, and the GasSafe law only applies to some one doing the work for a consideration (money) the Part P law applies to DIY as well as some one charging to do the work.

However not a clue about the warrant system used in Scotland, seem to remember some one saying unlike the Welsh Part P registration which is fixed at £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work, it is much cheaper, the Welsh system also allowed to LABC to add on the cost of third party inspections, so in Wales DIY can cost more than getting some one who is a scheme member to do the work.

England I think down to each LABC what they charge, to my mind it means people hide the work, so in real terms it means more danger, I actually did use the LABC in my mothers house, when we came to sell, I had mislaid the paperwork, told would take 4 months to get a replacement, so it seems the LABC see it as a tax, not the traceable record it was designed to be. And when the work was done, I sent in the installation certificate and the completion certificate arrived in the post, the inspector did not even pop his head around the door.

If you admit you fitted a 32 amp socket to recharge your car then clearly wrong, but if you claim it was fitted to run a welding set, then you used the existing socket to recharge car, then it would be hard to show your telling a fib.

And this is my worry, I could be put into danger due to some one charging their car where I can touch it. If some one kills them self due to their actions then that's Darwen's theory of natural selection, but killing some one else is very different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back