Cable / Pipe Finders - Useful or waste of time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the cable and pipe finders reliable in locating gas and electricity supply cables in the ground inside a property curtilage?

Like this one you can hire from HSS:

https://www.hss.com/hire/p/cable-and-pipe-locator-cat-3-hire-pack-1

I need to replace a section of water supply pipe, and probably hire a micro digger if I don't want to break my back.

Having done some previous drainage works, and having a near miss with both services which were basically laid immediately beneath a clay drainage pipe running to a soakaway. I therefore know where they are near to the property, but it would be a complete guess as to their run down the drive and exit to the street.

I obtained electricty and gas plans last time, but they were totally useless and simply showed a layout of the mains in the street and no detail even of connection points for the property. The property is 1930s and probably original infrastructure. The gas is still iron pipe unsleeved.

Sponsored Links
yes - providing the operator knows how to use the equipment.

Still a good idea to hand dig to expose the services once located

yes - providing the operator knows how to use the equipment.

Still a good idea to hand dig to expose the services once located

Thanks. Ok, what about for an operator who hasn't used before. anything to look out for or be aware of or operational tips.

Yes, once I've got some readings, my ideal plan would be to expose Gas and Elec services in a few places, I know where they are near to the house), so I can avoid them, depending on how far away from where I need to dig.

Have used that type of locator before with average to good results but it was hired from a survey equipment hire company (who are able to test the locator calibration before rental,includes a certificate of test).

The locator results are just a guide to where metal pipes/cables are buried, a lookout with a shovel is essential .

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
The CAT shown in your OP will give very accurate results (including depth to 4m max if the model shown is the one I think it is) but it's down to the operator understanding the CAT output.

It's worth remembering that underground pipework and cables can be in poor condition and even disturbing them can have significant consequences. Old electrical cables can be very vulnerable.

The CAT shown in your OP will give very accurate results (including depth to 4m max if the model shown is the one I think it is) but it's down to the operator understanding the CAT output.

It's worth remembering that underground pipework and cables can be in poor condition and even disturbing them can have significant consequences. Old electrical cables can be very vulnerable.
Ok, thanks.

What is the CAT output like? I guess I would start from where I know they are in the ground and try to follow the line out to the street.

I have to hope that the Gas and Elec service exit the drive in the centre or to the other side of where I need to dig for water. If not, there would be no choice but to expose them at some points. I know what you mean about condition, I saw them when doing some drainage near to the house, they have been there a long time.....

When you hire the locator,first ask the hire sales agent for a demo on its operation in the street,they should be able to assist if not walk away.

Still a 2 man job digger operative and lookout.

Very much do able.

CAT output will be a combination of audio signals and LCD display. Pinpointing services is a combination of passive detection (electrics) and use of the genny, adjusting the sensitivity to increase accuracy.

To be honest, if you've no experience of using CATs and limited experience of using excavators then I'd think twice about machine excavating in an area where you know there are old service installations. You may also have to consider MDPE (water) services along with telecomms.

A LV cable or gas main strike isn't much fun and, apart from the risk of injury, can be expensive.

No way does the average residential property need a digger on site - its a recipe for things going wrong.
The average garden wall to house trench is hand diggable for a couple of workers in a couple of hours.
And you have more control over what might be lurking below the soil.

If you have some distance to trench then its a different matter.

CAT output will be a combination of audio signals and LCD display. Pinpointing services is a combination of passive detection (electrics) and use of the genny, adjusting the sensitivity to increase accuracy.

To be honest, if you've no experience of using CATs and limited experience of using excavators then I'd think twice about machine excavating in an area where you know there are old service installations. You may also have to consider MDPE (water) services along with telecomms.

A LV cable or gas main strike isn't much fun and, apart from the risk of injury, can be expensive.

The electricity and gas could be running several meters away though if they follow a straightish line out to the street from where I know their whereabouts.

If not, they could be closer, which is why I think some detection would be wise. The experience is pretty much as you state. The old galv water pipe is what needs replacing, so not too worried about that if it got hit. The telecoms to our house and neighbours is all aerial, there should not be any other telecoms running on our property, I wouldn't have thought. Certainly no signs of it that I can see.

I'll call some groundworkers too and see what they think to price up the job. Appreciate the comments.

[
No way does the average residential property need a digger on site - its a recipe for things going wrong.
The average garden wall to house trench is hand diggable for a couple of workers in a couple of hours.
And you have more control over what might be lurking below the soil.

If you have some distance to trench then its a different matter.

It is 17 metres.

50ft Should be no problem for two of you - unless there's a concrete or tarmac path etc to cross ie tunnel under. Any obstacles present then say so now.

Note its precisely the stuff thats hidden or unexpected that will bite you.

Along the trench line lay boards and/or plastic sheeting for earth spoil to be dumped on - it makes cleaning up so much easier.

Yes, thanks. Not sure I share the same level of enthusiasm as you, for a 50ft / 17m dig though especially as that would likely be on my own. Unless the wife wants to help which seems very unlikely. I think it would be easier to find a friend for spotting a digger than helping hand dig trenching for 50ft....

I'm quite aware of their contact details thanks.

Appreciate your earlier comments and advice and I've taken them on board. Life is dangerous, I was asking about whether these devices would make it a little less dangerous.

This is a DIYforum afterall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back