Pipe located whilst looking for original electrical cable supplying garage from house

He doesn't touch outdoor stuff and I am still none the wiser.

424983627_10168468815405627_201391178900640260_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could this be the answer? This is the cable going into the house by the electric meter presumably supplying the garage (if not, is it an earthing rod)?

The pipe dimensions are the same.

C039Ql6.jpg

No it would not! It's a metal pipe, which will screen the field from a live cable..
Thanks Harry it just goes to show you are never too old to learn. I have never had nor used one, always relying on an Avo or other multi meter. But I've read many posts of these things "indicating" on various surfaces giving false readings so I assumed ( obviously wrongly) that they could detect a voltage induced into surrounding items. Having said that I was bit silly in not thinking any induced volts in that situation would be carried away to earth anyway.
As to the ops. problem I think he might be able to prove if it is the same pipe as his latest pic. by doing a continuity test with a multimeter and long leads.

Sponsored Links
Could this be the answer? This is the cable going into the house by the electric meter presumably supplying the garage (if not, is it an earthing rod)?

The pipe dimensions are the same.

C039Ql6.jpg

Get someone to tap that pipe while you hold a listening rod to the one in the hole.

I tried sticking a screwdriver on the pipe and pressing my head and ear against it whilst my Wife tapped on the other end of the pipe and I don't think I could hear anything. Also tried a cheap stethoscope and same result. I don't know how effective it would be as the rest of the pipe is buried under earth and under it is concrete. It's about 5 metres away.

I have a multi-meter, I don't have really long cables for it though. I had a quick look on eBay and couldn't find "extra long continuity cables". What should I be looking for?

Pretty sure 19mm steel pipes are for gas. They are used in more "heavy duty" situations where copper won't suffice.

I tried sticking a screwdriver on the pipe and pressing my head and ear against it whilst my Wife tapped on the other end of the pipe and I don't think I could hear anything. Also tried a cheap stethoscope and same result. I don't know how effective it would be as the rest of the pipe is buried under earth and under it is concrete. It's about 5 metres away.

I have a multi-meter, I don't have really long cables for it though. I had a quick look on eBay and couldn't find "extra long continuity cables". What should I be looking for?

I reckon you should hear it because it's hollow!

Get her to tap harder!

Just strip some twin and earth or flex cable and use the separated conductors as extra long fly leads!

Have you got an extension lead or cable reel that is long enough, if so get your wife to hold the earth pin of the plug to the junction box then use your meter between the extension socket earth and the other end of the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back