Water Supply Pipe

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've dug a trial hole for the depth of new foundations for an extension and
have come across a black plastic pipe (1/2inch thick) approx 1m down which I though was the electric cable. After further investigation, I followed the electric cable from the meter under the floor and going in a different direction. This was a slightly smaller diameter cable.
Could the first black pipe I came across be a water pipe? The house was built in 1968. This pipe seems to be running in the direction from the main stop cock at the top of the drive.

If it is the water pipe, can it run under the garage and kitchen concrete floor and can I move it myself?

Sponsored Links
you can move it yourself.
you can run under the floor but not in the concrete.

"Alkathene" water supply pipes were sometimes or always black.

Sponsored Links
half inch thick you say?

If it was a plastic pipe, that would be very very small internal bore

but it sould be a reasonable size for electricity, and the right colour.

Don't cut it.

Examine it carefully and see if it has any letters and numbers moulded into the side

Thanks for all you replies! Thought I'd solved it until I read the last reply, now I'm unsure - think I better dig a bit further along to see if I can see anything.

What letters or numbers should I be looking for that would tell me it's an electric cable rather than water?

if you think it maybe elecy go look at your elecy cable going ro your consumer box

Thanks for all you replies! Thought I'd solved it until I read the last reply, now I'm unsure - think I better dig a bit further along to see if I can see anything.

What letters or numbers should I be looking for that would tell me it's an electric cable rather than water?
check it with a volt stick :D

cables often say BASEC on them. Old ones often say BICC. newer ones may have long codes and the maker's name.

blue polypipe has something written on it, can't remember what.

any writing you find, someone here will recognise.

I have a black plastic water pipe coming into my house, it is at least an inch thick. the house is about 20 years old.

electric cable, SWA with a black cover, varies, but can be the size of your finger or less.

if you're in a DIY shed, look at some.

p.s.

... The house was built in 1968. ..
I don't think black plastic water pipes were around then. But black SWA cable was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back