Urgent please help: Gas supply Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a gully and PVC 110mm pipe into clay pipe of a soakaway along side our house at the front of the property. The soakaway pipe was damaged and filled with roots.

Running along side the original clay soakaway pipe i've uncovered what I believe to be the Gas supply pipe. (The electricity is on the other side). Both about 12" depth.

What I think is the gas seems to be about 1.5" diameter but varies due to corrosion or the collar joiners corroding if that is causing the variability.. There is delamination.

Not sure how safe this is. The house is 1920s... Had gas since - anyone's guess but quite a while I imagine. Gas under stairs enters house about 3M further back from where I'm working.

Only other option is water but that is original galv steel pipe too but I think smaller.

Should I leave it or call someone to inspect. If it is questionable will I have to Pay ££££££.

Really appreciate any insight on how these things dealt with before I embark on the unknown...

Sponsored Links
Have called SGN - reported exposed service - safety check. They say expect a visit within 4 hours.

Still very interested what the possible outcome will be if it needs replacement. Is it my cost?

Thanks.

It's probably ok but......What's that funny smell out in the garden? Does it smell like gas to you?
If you call 0800 111 999 and report it there will be someone out to check within a couple of hours.. No charge to you whether there's a leak or not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, no smell. They asked that!!! I will update with what happens. It just looks very old and corroded. Some delamination.

Just visited. Fast turn around. Checked with sniffer and said leave it until replaced....

Do you mean that they have scheduled to replace it following your call?

Or that one day they might?

Tony

In another forum (without going into a song and dance) i skirted on the possibility of danger in DIY digging. And now, you've just missed an elec supply, and have exposed a gas service - only you are not sure whether its gas or water.

Believe me, dont rely on the judgement of some guy from the gas board, rushing in and out, to give a correct call ref a galv. water or gas pipe.

Before any digging you should have been rock solid over where your utilities ran - it will now pay you to do an exact trace.

If you have a corroded 1920's galv. service pipe then insist that the utility change it - because sod's law says that it will leak shortly after reinstatement.

Only that one day they might replace it or sleeve it if it can be sleeved.

Ree, yes you're right of course, these services have been much closer than I hoped for and hidden by concrete over the top and then hidden by the base of the clay pipe section I hadn't removed.

If i do anything in the front drive or in the general route again, before the service entry into the supply meters, a trace would be the only way to go.

Don't think I would have much influence on telling them it must be replaced, they seemed to inspect it and do what they wanted to do - which was not much- but also acknowledge your sods law explanation..

Thanks.

It looks as tho they originally dropped all utilities in the same shallow trench, a very common practice if they could get away with it - perhaps their separation dimensions were different to now - or non existant.

We once severed an elec service running 6" below a rose bed - it ran for 30ft at that depth. Quite a flash.

Chances are if that gas service needs replacement they'll just insert a new plastic service through the old steel pipe. (If that hasn't already been done...) My experience is that they wont touch it unless they have to, i.e. it's leaking..... :rolleyes:

Gas and electric up to and including the meter are the responsibility of the relevant utility company unless a 3rd party damages them. In which case the utility has to repair them at the 3rd party's cost, = expensive!!! (Water services can usually be fixed yourself although may get a bit wet if supply side of the stoptap!) The exception is fibre optic cabling. Damage that and you may as well put your house on the market. You will need to sell it to pay the repair bill, believe me...... :eek:

I bet.

I did make some effort before hand. I called Thames Water, SGN and UK Power Networks telling them all I was replacing drainage in front drive and could they assist with identifying runs of their services.

Thames Water were most useless telling me to contact their property search department who offered to tell me the location of their assets for £60. However, my understanding is that would not cover any of what I asked them for.

SGN said that they would send some plans out - but I haven't yet received anything.

UK Power said they would call me back - you guessed it - no call.

Who would do a trace on all this and any idea on how much it might cost?

Thanks Hugh - makes sense for elec and gas that way.

It wasn't yet sleeved - the old pipe still enters the floor in the under stair cupboard with some old tap he commented on. It is probably original, according to the engineer that turned up anyway. If there was mains gas here in the 1920s....

The trace i referred to was self-tracing, an eyeball judgement esp. a line from any utility cover or plate on the sidewalk to the entrance point into the house.

OK but that only helps with water and maybe the main sewer line as the is an IP at the far end of the garden front boundary.

There is no physical evidence of where service starts for the life threatening ones is there?

Edits: Of course I looked and thought about it (the runs), knowing the services enter 3M further back. However they could of gone either side of the soil inspection chamber and not having sited them after excavation, I had started to assume they were the other side of the chamber.

Wrong assumption!!!! Not that I started going at anything with a pick axe. This was a hand trowel and a club hammer and cold chisel for the concrete. Took me forever.

But they were lingering just out wide enough of the excavation to not notice. And as I'd left the bottom section of the clay pipe in place it hid them further. Definitely another thing learned in this project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back