Cable Pulling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to ask this question as I have not found the answer on this site or elsewhere.

When pulling cable through buried conduit, how do you attach the new cable to that being replaced (or the nylon pull-through cord)?

Sponsored Links
This sounds mean, and I don't mean to be so, but how do you think this is done?

Put another way, how would you do it?

Use LOTS of gaffer tape, wrapped tightly round it. Using a nylon pull through is preferably as otherwise you have to tape a fat cable to another fat cable and pull them both through the conduit.

I would tape the nylon string to the cable with a bigbit dangling on the end. Tie this dangling bit of string back on itself so it forms a loop around the gaffer tape.

Whatever you do, you don't want the two to become detached so pull gently and don't yank it against any resistance! :D

Strip back the sheathing on both old and new cable then twist together a conductor from each. Clip away the extra conductors then tape over the join to make as smooth a transition as possible from one cable to the next. As little bulk as possible is what to aim for so your 'splice' doesn't snag. And if you have a can of conduit lube a quick spray will do no harm.

That's what I do anyway.

Sponsored Links
To answer securespark's unusual response...

I would probably have tried a combination of cable ties (or binding wire) & box tape (as it has better lateral strength than gaffa & is slippy)

I like the other suggestions though...

What happened to the very small sectioned metal 'tape' I saw sparkies using in the '60's for pulling conductors through conduit ?
Can remember the conduit was set in concrete, brand new containing no conductors. The 'tape' was pushed through the conduit some quite lengthy pulls as I remember .. But don't remember the attachment method.....

P

You get the fibreglass ones now, I would assume for the same purpose.

How is a pulling tape around 90 degree corners, or joints between lengths of conduit? Does it get stuck easily?

I think another piece of kit was used to make the connection pull-tape to cables.
Twas on a 14 storey office block, vaguely remember a buried (in floor) change of direction being through a curved conduit, am sure I can remember the little 'inspection plates' at junctions being off at the time .... Long time past now !!

P

20pictures said:
To answer securespark's unusual response...

I would probably have tried a combination of cable ties (or binding wire) & box tape (as it has better lateral strength than gaffa & is slippy)

I like the other suggestions though...

Just wanted to get you thinking, that was all.

Yes, the others are about right. I use a combination of all these methods, depending on the cable and the situation.

If you have a havy cable and a bend or two is involved, then I would strip back the conductors (I use all of them), and if it is solid then I bend each lot back on themselves to make a loop, flatten it with pliers, then wrap tape over whole joint so that all the conductors are covered.

Yes, lube is good. If you have no cable-specific lube, then wash-up-liq is good. Ky is an unusual choice, Adam, but then you are single. Miaow!!! :D :D

No offence, mate!

The new fibreglass rods and attachments are brill. I've seen them in action, but are too mean to buy a set yet cos they are pushing it price-wise.

securespark said:
The new fibreglass rods and attachments are brill. I've seen them in action, but are too mean to buy a set yet cos they are pushing it price-wise.

Oh you haven't lived until you've got the attachment that has a bright green LED on the end. I've only that particular one once, but it was a truly a wondrous sight. And then you can get hooks, magnets, 'whisks', 'rats'... the list goes on. I must use my older, slightly more flexible rod set two or three times a week and - especially working solo - it's a godsend.

I haven't found the fibreglass ones on the net, but the nylon 20m draw tape is £5-6 from two suppliers I have looked at. Doesn't have green LEDs on it though ;)

That green LED, I am assuming it is so you can see it come round the corner. It is a great choice of colour, as the human eye is most sensitive to green light (although blue LEDs are cool). My random fact for the day :D

thing i wonder about the one with led how do the batteries go down the conduit?, i mean hw do you bend a couple of AA batteries?

yes i am only joking.

but i really do not see the point of the led, you know when its arrived because it pops out the end of the conduit

To stop prank-loving sparks from saying "could you look down that conduit and let me know when the cable pops out?" before poking their marra in the eye :D

breezer said:
but i really do not see the point of the led, you know when its arrived because it pops out the end of the conduit

You're at one end of a tricky run, your lad's at the other and instead of blindly stabbing away, trying to find the hole (ooh-er, missus ;) ) he can see the light and direct you, "left a bit... right a bit...". Honestly, it worked a treat! (Although I have to admit I did only buy the LED attachment for a laugh!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back