Cable Requirements to Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this question has been asked a million times and I have scoured the threads but just wondered whether anyone would be kind enough to offer a solution to my particular problem!! :D

Here goes:

At the mo there is:

A 2.5mm TE cable running from a 5A breaker in the CU in the house which runs through the wall straight underneath a covered porch at the front of the house...This supplies a 500W PIR Floodlight that underneath said porch.

The guy who lived here before has installed this. He also (ridiculous..) has taked effectively a spur from this floodlight to supply a Wickes outdoor DBL socket box on the outside wall.

What I need:

I have just erected a Wooden 6x4 Garden shed at the side of the house and would like to have a single interior light of some description and a double socket for lawn mower/tools etc..

What I am thinking of doing?!:

Firstly I will get rid of the Wickes Outdoor socket as this is clearly wrong on so many levels...
The Floodlight underneath the porch I will leave on its own, fed as is, from the CU inside. Question Is the cable used suitable or should I replace? (the cable goes straight from the lighting Ring 5A breaker on the main house CU, through the wall where it is already under the porch if this makes any difference)

As for the Shed electric supply, I am thinking one of two options; either:

Take a separate feed from the main house CU (15A?) and run in through the wall and round the exterior wall to the side of the house and into the shed where it will connect to a JB splitting off to a 20A DP Iso Switch and then to a DBL Socket (prob use the old wickes outdoor one?) and a 3A FCU to an interior light.

or alternatively..

The Shed stands right up against the side of the house - On the inside of this wall there is a DBL socket in the living room which is part of the ringmain. Can I take a spur from this, go through the wall into the shed using appropriate FCU etc?

The Shed electrics (light and socket) will not overload the ring as effectively its the same socket on the inside that i plug the mower etc into anyway... but is it good practice? Its certainly less work/cost as there will be less cable length and no messing round with the CU (which I am not supposed to really do as I am not a qualified electrician...I'm probably not allowed to do what I want to do with the shed on those partP grounds anyways but it is very simple and have tackled more complex things inside the house.

If anyone could advise on the best method (without getting a spark in to do the job!) that would be fantastic. Also I would like to know what cable I should be using in both instances (must you use SWA cable if the cable is run along the wall of the house above head height? in both situations I am not planning on burying any cables.

An electician friend of my brothers said I could 'get away' with doing the second option but using a plug on the inside, plugged into the livingroom double socket as this is classed as not hard-wired and therefore I am ok to do? Is this true?!

Many Thanks in advance!

Lik

(oops, cable run is no more than 18ft)

Sponsored Links
The electrician friend of my brothers is out of the country and I wanted to complete the work asap...

Sorry, I though the point of a forum was to ask questions and offer advice?!

It is irrelevant to the forum where he is- he doesn't actually deal with domestic electrics but obviously knows a bit about them and mentioned how I could go about it... I want to do the work myself and I was simply posting on here for some friendly advice. If you don't want to give me any that's up to you but I hope someone else will!

By the way, isn't that a photo of a fortune teller, I think you wanted a picture of a 'mindreader' (was that what you were going for?) I shalln't waste my time searching google images for one to post...

<insert 'witty' image here>

I think my post was fairly detailed, what more do u need to know? All you got to do is ask :)
[/i]

2nd option will fail part p

1st option is better, but you need swa cable, and why not have a small CU in the shed

Edited by Mod3

Sponsored Links
The plug method does sound like the simplest way to get around the legislation, obviously this wont make an electrician £500-1000 :LOL:

Out of interest when did using SWA become law outside? I ask as the property I have recently purchased has a buried length of galvanised conduit from the house to the brick built "shed" in the bottom of the garden (25 meters from the house) with a 6mm PVC T&E cable inside. Must have been done 15 years back when the house was reqired according to the invoice I have.

The plug method does sound like the simplest way to get around the legislation,
It won't "get around" the legislation - the shed wiring is an electrical installation within the scope of the Building Regulations whether it's plugged in or not.

obviously this wont make an electrician £500-1000 :LOL:
More to the point doing a bad job just to avoid having to comply with the law is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do or advocate.

An electician friend of my brothers said I could 'get away' with doing the second option but using a plug on the inside, plugged into the livingroom double socket as this is classed as not hard-wired and therefore I am ok to do? Is this true?!
It is irrelevant to the forum where he is- he doesn't actually deal with domestic electrics but obviously knows a bit about them
I doubt you'll find many people agreeing with that assessment.

Out of interest when did using SWA become law outside?
1st January 2005.

Using SWA outside isn't law - it is just one method.
Burried in the ground, SWA is imo the best solution, however BS7671 allows a cable to be installed in an earthed metallic conduit in the ground.

Anyhoo - back to the OP.
As far as I can see there is no problem using the alternative method i.e. the spur from the ring as long as it is adequatley protected by a FCU and is also protected by an RCD. A normal twin and earth wire shouldn't run outside unprotected.

I would just run a cable from the socket in the living room. Put a strip light on to a plug and just use the cable as an extension. Its not a fixed cable so it should not break any regulations about needing to be qualified to fit it. If your worried about anything fit an rcd to the plug socket just to be sure.

Doing a bad job just to avoid having to comply with the law is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do or advocate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back