Garden Wiring - RCD Question

The issue is the SWA feeding the shed...

I thought that was ok now? What do I need to do?

The SWA feeding the shed is OK as a choice of cable, but feeding it from your ring main is bad practice and could cause you problems. I would recommend extending the circuit back to the consumer unit and put it on a dedicated RCD or an RCBO in the consumer unit (if room to fit another). The rating of the RCD/RCBO should not exceed 16A.

Sponsored Links
The issue is the SWA feeding the shed...

I thought that was ok now? What do I need to do?

The SWA feeding the shed is OK as a choice of cable, but feeding it from your ring main is bad practice and could cause you problems. I would recommend extending the circuit back to the consumer unit and put it on a dedicated RCD or an RCBO in the consumer unit (if room to fit another). The rating of the RCD/RCBO should not exceed 16A.

Awesome, thanks. Its a bit of a bugger to get to the main board, but I am sure its possible. Will get a sparkie on the case I think.

Alternatively you can fit a fused switch prior to the external socket.

Please stop commenting on something you clearly have little technical knowledge of. Your remark is unclear and fitting the FCU (Spur) to the SWA feed to the shed, thus leaving the shed fed via the ring is simply BAD PRACTICE

Sponsored Links
The fuse should be fitted prior to the external socket and swa.

Not just to the swa as you were suggesting earlier.

If you are going to suggest things please make sure they are practical and not unnecessary.

Why...if giving an answer you should explain, that way it proves you understand what you are talking about. The external RCD protected socket is fed from the internal ring main, this is protected by a RCBO that is a C32 as required by the Regs (well recommended by good practice) The external socket being fed from the protected circuit is not an issue and does not require fusing down.
Everyone seems to be making all sorts of assumptions/guesses - which is hardly a basis for good advice, let alone for criticising others. It could well be a ring final, but, if it is, we appear to be talking about 'a spur from a spur' from that circuit - which, of course, would be non-compliant unless there were, indeed, a 13A fuse prior to the outdoor socket. We also don't know what cable is connecting the main circuit to the outside socket. If it's 2.5mm² then, again, just from the CCC viewpoint (apart from the informative Appendices of the regs {aka 'good practice'?} and the matter of point loading of the {assumed} ring), it would need to be protected by something more modest than a C32 if it was going to be supplying more than one socket.

Kind Regards, John

Quite so - albeit, as I implied in my last post, not necessarily impossible.
Could be tricky for a TN-S supply.
It could - although, as westie is always pointing out, nothing says that the Ze of a TN-S supply has to necessarily be anything like as high as 0.8Ω.

Mind you, this does make one wonder how often a circuit would ever have a low enough Zs for a Type D MCB of any appreciable In. I wonder if this is a situation in which it would be acceptable to rely on an RCD for L-E fault protection?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back