garden lights!

A junction box on the end of buried SWA should be accessible and not under floor boards.

I would bring the SWA up to a junction box above floor level. May not look good but a damp junction box will soon need maintenance / replacement.

A damaged outer sheath on SWA will allow ground water into the armouring and then the water can move along the armour, If the SWA is horizontal then water will reach the junction box.

Sponsored Links
screenshot_406.jpg

STEM's picture shows one way of doing this.
The other way is to not have outdoor cables or circuits coming through the wall and plugging into a socket. The other way is to have a switch or FCU indoors and a concealed cable going through the wall into a JB where it is joined to the SWA.

If you read my original post, the drawing was specifically related to:

"How do I connect an armored cable to 3-pin plug?"
The diagram was merely posted to show how to connect a 13A plug to a length of SWA using a junction box. The other stuff is irrelevant, and the OP never stated that he has a suspended floor.

Sponsored Links
STEM's picture shows one way of doing this. If you take this approach, the junction box connectors must be Maintenance Free. ie, crimps, Wago, or similar that comply with BS5733 mf
As bernard has said, I think the JB joining SWA to T+E really needs to be 'accessible'. Quite apart from the reasons he gives, I see nothing in the regs which excludes 'inaccessible' joints to SWA armour from the requirement to be 'MF' (particularly if it's being used as a CPC), and one would probably struggle to find an 'MF' way of joining armour!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back