Outside Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to put down a patio but before I do I want to lay some
armored cable underneath it for future lighting, pond pump etc. I
intend to take the cable from an external socket (RCD protected)

1, The cable will be under stone flags which in turn will be laid over an existing concrete base hence not much scope for burial etc and I want to ensure it complies

2 I want to have 2 circuits each plugged into an external socket Do I earth the armored strands and if so how is this possible with the Plugs and the light fittings etc (Not used armored before)

Anything else I should be aware of

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly such work is subject to notification to your local Council under the Building Regulations.

Secondly if you are unsure of how to use armoured them I strongly suggest you get a competent electrician in to do it for you. You can then explain to them such matters as electrical load and distance that would affect what size of cable to use. The metal armour of the armoured cable makes it impossible to use a 13A plug on the end as you wish.

Agreed If I have to use swa then I will use an electrician I have researched and it looks messy however I first I would like to understand alternative options

1. Can I use standard cable in conduit or similar

2. What is the procedure for laying under flags but on top of concrete Do I need to chase it out and if so how deep etc There will be a few inches between the two

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Can I use standard cable in conduit or similar
Yes but it needs to be earthed steel conduit which will be considerablly more expensive and more of a pain to work with than SWA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back