Garden Electric supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
25049 3C1.5 XLPE/SWA/PVC i have just ordered this from screwfix for the garden. Probs going fivteen meters to decking. Will it be fine to take a spare of a norml plug socket. or does the armored cable need to go to consumer unit about twenty meters away. Sockets could be used for 3KW pool heater would this be okay. or should i just use sockets for radio/cd etc.. maybe hoover for car???

Sponsored Links
I would like to see how you are going to connect the SWA cable into a plug top! Please send photos, as that would be very interesting to see.

Would not be connecting to pulug top. Unless you think i am an idiot. For all you reading would use junction box.

A 1.5mm cable could not be taken directly from a socket due to current carrying capacity.

An RCD would be required since you are outside the equipotential zone.

Part P is required for an installation of this nature.

Sponsored Links
Briansmad said:
25049 3C1.5 XLPE/SWA/PVC i have just ordered this from screwfix for the garden. Probs going fivteen meters to decking. Will it be fine to take a spare of a norml plug socket. or does the armored cable need to go to consumer unit about twenty meters away. Sockets could be used for 3KW pool heater would this be okay. or should i just use sockets for radio/cd etc.. maybe hoover for car???

1.5mm.... you havent left much room to put load on it.

and where do you plan on puttin the socket on the end of it?

Okay then tell what in extra i will need and i will by it if it needs a rcd can i wire to the twin and earth 2.5mm or will it need to go to main consumer unit? I will use required juction boxes or rcd's not a plug.

been looking at part p and thats fine because best mate is an electrician he's just gone away for two weeks so need to get the preperations ready for when he comes back i will get him to do most of the work..

Are you sure that he's registered with one of the Competent Person schemes as someone able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations?

I think you meant "'a 13A fused spur from a normal socket'' If so yes, thats fine, but please check that either the circuit suppying the donor socket already has RCD protection, or the spur you use adds RCD protection, to cover the outside wiring.
In terms of current handling the 1.5mm SWA will only be good for approx 13A max anyway, so no point in going back to the consumer unit if there is a sensibly placed mid-ring socket to take the spur from. I hope its only a waterproof lawnmower socket and a light or two you will be feeding, though, as 1.5mm isnt particularly generous - say total load 3kW or less..
Please make sure the earthing glands are properly made off.

Friend works for local council so would thinkl he is up to speed with all certificates and things etc.

I'm not doubting his qualifications or competence, but are you sure that he's registered with one of the Competent Person schemes as someone able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations?

Or does he work for Building Control doing inspections? If not, is he going to swing a deal with someone there to pass this for you?

I work for a local council, inspecting and testing all day but when 5 oclock comes I am not classed as a "competent" person. I would think that your friend is in the same boat.

Ooh. No idea to tell you the truth did not know it was this bad to put electric outside. Maybe have to get someone to come out then and pay them any idea is it just normal electrician or inspector from council to come?? Any idea of price? I need it done correctly incase i sell up.

there are three methods
1. Pay an electrician who is a member of one of the organisations such as NICEIC

or

2. Tell the council that you are doing the work and pay their fees.

3. Get an electrician who is not a member and pay the councils fees.

By the way I hate Part P because of the reasons you have raised.

Yep can imagine would sware at it but not on here. Have done work with my friend before, Showers, lights, jacuzzis etc. so belive i could do my selve correctly. And can not belive these rules but for Diyers that have no clue suppose it is a good idea. And thanks a lot for your help. At least you take it serious THANKS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back