Garden electrics question

You must know something I don't, as I don't see how having that setup contravenes that reg, although admittedly I didn't download the manufacturers insurrections.

Sponsored Links
  1. Why did he not replace the first one?
  2. Why did he not terminate the SWA properly?

1. In my location, you are not allowed to remove the main fuse. So taken the primary isolator out would have required a DNO call out. So not really practical, if the primary isolator had been installed by DNO/Service provider and the tails were in excess of 3M, then they have not provided the correct protection.

2. Do not know, i do not know the guy.

1. In my location, you are not allowed to remove the main fuse. So taken the primary isolator out would have required a DNO call out. So not really practical,
Proper jobs often cost more and take longer than naff ones.

if the primary isolator had been installed by DNO/Service provider and the tails were in excess of 3M, then they have not provided the correct protection.
If so, then down to them to return and do it properly.

2. Do not know, i do not know the guy.
Nor I.

Posit some valid reasons for him not to have used the proper materials.

Sponsored Links
I have already given a valid reason why, in terms of safely isolating the equipment, without the need to have the main fuse removed.
There is absolutely nothing unsafe by the way things have been done by the electrician. With regards to the primary isolator, it is unknown when that was originally installed, was it before or after tails where extended greater than 3M? If after, I agree that the primary isolator should have been a fused isolator and has been specified incorrectly.
You can hardly expect the customer to be charged be the service provider/DNO for a call out to sort this out and it is unfair for the electrician downstream of this to take responsibility for it. Of course they could have informed the customer of the issue and gathering up some of the information given, the electrician did inform the customer and done nothing wrong or unsafe with regards to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back