Garden Socket - Sockets from SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I moved into a house that had an existing SWA cable (20mm, 4-core) going from the house CU (RCD) up the garden to a smaller CU in a brick shed (about 80 feet away). When the house clearance people were clearing the garden they thought it wise to burn all the old weeds and ended up burning through the SWA's sleeve. I've since spliced in a new length of SWA cable using 2-way Pratley junction boxes.

Moving forward a couple of years, I'd like to have some outdoor sockets in the garden to feed a pond pump and a few lights. I've purchsed a couple of BG IP66 double sockets (WiFi/smart) and was intending to take a feed from the existing SWA using a 3-way Pratley junction box as shown in the diagram below.

Is this feasible/safe? I'm confident in undertaking the preparatory work (measuring, cutting cables and installing the sockets etc.), but would leave the final connections to a qualified electrician as I'm aware of the risks and regulations. I'm just unsure of whether taking a line from the main cable would affect the stability of the supply and whether it needs to be in parallel/series.

Thanks in advance. (y)

garden-wiring-003.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking at the outside diameter of 4 core SWA cable it could be 2.5 mm², 4 mm² or 6mm² depending on the make and type of cable, and it will need protection to suit the size used, and any new sockets will need RCD protection. As to earthing normally a SWA gland is used and the SWA carries the earth, but not always, in some cases the out building is on it's own earth using a TT system, which can be safer.

So there is no yes or no answer. this old publication on outbuildings supply and this on broken PEN may help.

In Wales where I live the garden is a special location and needs notifying under Part P building regulations, and I think there is a good reason as so easy to get things wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back