Cable Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie question, so apologies...

I've recently had a conservatory fitted. I'm holding the 'IMM2 - Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate' in my hot little hands, which says all the work has been completed in accordance with BS7671.

Now, Ive been doing some research on t'internet, and I think all might not be well... but I can't find any definitive reference that backs that up. My main concerns are the cable routing by the door, which looks like this:-

door.jpg

Shouldn't they be protected or laid in the floor... or something?

The cables were run round the cavity in the dwarf wall, laid directly on the wall ties with no conduit or clips. Is this also OK?

Thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
Cable under the door should be in conduit, personally I'd use earth galvanised conduit.
As for cables in the cavity bit of a no no ( could get away with it if the cables are enclose in conduit within the cavity), have the builders installed insulation in the cavity aswell ? if so this has to be taken into account when selecting cable sizing

If you want a regulation number to throw at them try this one 522-06-04
A wiring system buried in a floor shall be sufficiently protected to prevent damage caused by the intended use of the floor.

Did the sparky extend an existing circuit from the house into the conservatory ? If not & it is a new circuit they should have issued you with an electrical installation cert not a minor works cert

Thanks Comms :D

Is 522-06-04 part of BS7671?

Yes, they extended an existing circuit into the conservatory. Actually, thinking on, he cut out the plaster by an existing socket, ran the cables at about 30 degrees down from the socket to the corner of the room, then drilled a hole out into the cavity wall of the conservatory. That's not right either is it? Shouldn't the wires be run straight up/down or across from the existing socket?

No, the cavity hasn't been filled with anything.

Cheers for your help,
Tim

Sponsored Links
Yep it is a BS7671 regulation.
Again your right the cable from existing house socket should run horizontal / vertical to /from accessories, but if the cables are run outside of these zones they must be chased to a depth of 50mm or Incorperate a metalic covering such as earthed galv conduit( 522-06-06)

One reason for not having cables in the cavity is to prevent a moisture bridge between external wall & internal wall ( sure there is a building regulation on that) but there isnt anything in BS7671 that states cables cant be run in a cavity, but to get round that you could quote 522-08 other mechanical stresses (cables need supporting............wait for the crowd to start COME ON CABLES COME ON CABLES).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back