Cable size for garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I need to supply power to my shed about 25m from my house.
I would be using upto 5kw. 3 1.5KW immersion heaters and lights
I was thinking of 4mm sva and would like your kind advice please.
Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi guys
I need to supply power to my shed about 25m from my house.
I would be using upto 5kw. 3 1.5KW immersion heaters and lights
I was thinking of 4mm sva and would like your kind advice please.
Thanks
Pete

Alright Pete - See previous post / reply:

Have you done the calculations for volt-drop and loop impedance?

What choice have you made for RCD protection?

How and where will you terminate the SWA, and have you used SWA glands before?

Do you have any PME earth export issues to consider?

I assume your gonna be fitting a new consumer unit too? The job's notifiable to the LABC under Part P, and requires the relevant BS7671 testing & certification (You know the ones: R1+R2, Zs, IR, RCD tripping etc)

Best get a spark in?

Fluff - if you use that calculator select 2-core SWA even if you're using 3-core, or it'll do 3-phase calculations, and select PVC even if you're using XLPE or it'll run the conductors up to 90°...

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys
I am rotovating the garden soon so would like to lay the cable now I know it is def 4mm required.
Where can I get hold of the warning tape to lay above the cable? I take it any decent elec maerchant would stock it.
Pete

Thanks guys
I am rotovating the garden soon so would like to lay the cable now I know it is def 4mm required.
The cost of 10mm² compared to 4mm² is what?

The cost and aggravation of digging a 4-500mm deep 25m long trench a second time, and making good, if you ever need more power is what?

Use 10mm² 3-core.

A common error in taking the simplistic view of over-engineering a solution so as to avoid the uncertainties of correct design, is that it doesn't take into account other factors.

If you decided to install so much equipment in your shed so as to max. out 10mm armoured, one would have to question the loading in the rest of the property served by a (max.) 100A main service.

This is not to say that 10mm wouldn't be appropriate for your installation given other considering factors, but going overboard is a simple waste of money are resources.

If 4mm may not give you sufficient for future use, 6mm will give you all that you should ever require as it could carry about 50% of the total property loading. Can you envisage a time when 50% or more of your total electrical loading will be in your garden shed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back