armoured cable in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to run some armoured cable from the house to the garden shed, I just need 2 x double sockets out there for TV, radio and lights.

The shed is 25m away.

My brother-in-law will wire it up when he comes and stays next month. Will I be okay to run; Prysmian LV Armoured 3-Core Black 2.5mm²?

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy this from?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd say that's a little on the small side, but assuming your brother-in-law is an electrician, why not ask him what size cable to install?

Sponsored Links
He is not qualified.

What cable should it be?

Thanks.

Well, it's your funeral if something goes wrong with the installation - terminating SWA cable needs to be done properly to ensure it is safe, so I hope your brother-in-law has some experience. The whole install will also, of course, be in contravention of part P of the building regulations and, hence, illegal.

Those trivialities aside, I would use 6mmsq 3-core to provide some room for future expansion, with 4mmsq 3-core as an absolute minimum. As we don't know what the earthing arrangements are for your property, there's no way of knowing whether or not either of these cables will meet the required disconnection times. Fairly irrelevant, as I doubt your B-I-L will have the correct equipment to test the installation anyway.

He is not qualified.
Then why are you having him do it?

If neither of you are qualified how do you know that the work will be safe?

Will fault-loop values be OK?

Do you have the issue of exporting a TN-C-S supply to a location with extraneous-conductive-parts?

Do you know what the rules are for cables run outdoors?

Do you know how to install SWA glands?

How will you carry out testing for continuity, insulation resistance, EFLI and RCD operating times?

Are you aware that you are required to obtain Building Regulations approval for this work in advance, because it is notifiable?

What cable should it be?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

Select 2-core PVC or it will assume 3-phase and the ability to run it up to 90°C.

Thanks for your help guys.

If I go down the qualified route it will cost me a fortune - money I don't have. He will do a good job of it, when I move house I'll pull it all up. I just want some lights in my shed and I have no money.

4mm core it is.

Thanks for your sound advice all the same.

electronicsuk said this (above);

I would use 6mmsq 3-core to provide some room for future expansion, with 4mmsq 3-core as an absolute minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back